Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 AM

Default 20/40, hands like this are killing me - Q6s blind war

Villain is 40/15 over not-so-many hands, looks like your average too-loose, too-aggro 20/40er.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Surf is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Surf calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Surf raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Surf bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Surf calls.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Surf folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

A few things happened here.
1. I gave away the initiative (again)
2. I blanked my draw
3. I didn't put the last bet/raise in

Gimme a better line / plan. These HU hands are killing me.

Surf
Old 12-05-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: 20/40, hands like this are killing me - Q6s blind war

Other than peeling the spade more often there's nothing to suggest, really.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 AM

yea i've started to cut back on semibluffing against these guys who never fold but I think you have enough folding equity to make this flop raise/turn bet play, combined with the fact that you sometimes actually have the best hand. The T kind of sucks because a lot of his hands picked up a straight draw but I'd still bet it.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 AM

Nothing you can do here. You played it fine.

1. You didn't give away the initiative. He took it because he happened to have a hand.

2. You did blank your draw. Sucks.

3. You put the minimum amount of aggression into this hand. And that's just fine agaisnt an over-aggro opponent when you don't have a hand. Any less aggression and you would have been just calling him till the river, and that's just weak poker heads up in the blinds.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:36 AM

The only other way to play this is to call the flop and raise any turn. Looks a bit scarier but I still don't think you're going to get him to fold many hands you want him to fold.

This line will also gets you 3-bet on the turn sometimes which really sucks.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:13 AM

i would take the free card here and i don't understand why other people don't

it's just that nobody seems to fold A-high when there's a flush draw on board
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 AM

This seems fine. The only other possible change you can make is checking the turn. Lets try to figure out what that would do.

Assuming you will get check raised, you have about 20% equity. Putting in 2 BB, but only withdrawing .8BB means that if you knew you were going to be checkraised, and be behind, you are costing yourself 1.2 BB.

If you are behind, and don't get check raised, but get called, you are still costing yourself .6 BB.

If he is on a draw, and you give him the free card, he probably has around 5 outs, or less. That means you are giving away 10% of a 4 BB pot, or .4 BB.

If he is on a draw, and you bet, you are picking up .8 BB.

I don't know how to weight which of these is happening often. But if he is one to often check raise the turn with any sort of pair, I think you might want to check through.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 AM

I don't see how you can be faulted, when these opponents often will call the flop raise, but then fold to a continuation turn bet.

At least I don't see fault without a more specific history against this player.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 AM

you could call the flop, call the turn and re-evaluate after the river depending on the board. I don't see why it's such a horrid idea.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:19 AM

Surf,

If the LAG will likely be c/raising or folding, betting this turn will cost you an avg of 1.6 BB if he doesn't fold. Since folding him wins you 4 BB, you need him to fold about (1.6/4) ~ 40% of the time.

You can adjust this number down a bit to account for the times he just calls, but this should help you see that a bet on the turn is likely the wrong move against this type of player.

gm