Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 PM

Default 88 isolation in MP

11-handed live game at Western Fair.

UTG+1 is agressive, limps with many suited cards/connectors, haven't seen enough preflop raises shown down to have a good enough judge of raising standards.

MP2 is a loose young player, and appears to be on tilt at this point. He came straight to the table after a good run at blackjack, is very talkative, and might even have a couple drinks in him, although he is not drinking now. I have seen him raise preflop and then dump his hand on the flop a couple times now already. EDIT: This led me to believe he has loose raising standards and plays weak-tight postflop.

MP4 is an old lady who hasn't played very much poker (so she says, and judging by her play over the past 2 hours, its not at all unreasonable) and is generally weak-passive, and loose-passive postflop. She's been getting some help from the button, who is a huge table coach and was told off by MP2 a couple hands ago for giving the lady advice during her hands.

BB was a Johnny Chan lookalike and was wearing a Taj shirt.

Preflop:
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets (an isolation move, as not many pots were being 3-bet preflop), MP2 caps, 1 fold, MP4 calls, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls

Flop: (13.5 SB) 9-7-7 rainbow
UTG+1 bets, Hero...?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: 88 isolation in MP

www.pokerhand.org

duh, I'm an [censored]. Your hand was live. Sorry.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:37 PM

Fold, and fold fast. If you don't injury your wrist as you quickly fold your 8s, you're not mucking fast enough. Based on your post, the only reason you 3-bet was to isolate the aggressive UTG+1 player. Unfortunately, you didn't succeed, and you didn't connect all that well with the flop. You need runner-runner for a str8 or one of the two remaining 8s to likely have a chance. You still have 2 players left to act: A wild player who will likely raise, and an old lady who was willing to call after a raise, a reraise, AND a re-reraise. Based on your position, the fact that you didn't hit the flop, and your statement that "not many pots were being 3-bet preflop" but this one was capped," your 8s are almost guaranteed to be a huge dog. Remember, your original intent for being in the hand was to isolate against a loose player to your right. However, this didn't work. Throw in the towel and save your chips; there will be other hands.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM

No way. Hero raises. Besides the fact that we may have the best hand, we also have a backdoor straight. The pot is too big to fold just yet, so raise.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:04 PM

The pfr just led right into the pf-3bettor and pf capper, on a table where not many hands are making it to 3-bets. Between this (pretty good) sign that we're behind and the chance that we'll get caught in the middle of a war, I'd also fold it.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way. Hero raises. Besides the fact that we may have the best hand, we also have a backdoor straight. The pot is too big to fold just yet, so raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise this you're paying off way too much to the higher pairs,
even your backdoor straight is far from clean,
besides the chance that somebody may have 99,
TT & JJ will often make a full house when you hit your long shot straight,

I'd fold it right away
Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP2 is a loose young player, and appears to be on tilt at this point...I have seen him raise preflop and then dump his hand on the flop a couple times now already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then raise the flop immediately. Most of the time, though, you'd be better off calling and waiting for the turn to raise if you can expect MP2 to call 1 or 2 with overcards (not raise) and UTG+1 to lead the turn.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:43 PM

As for a plan for the rest of the hand, I would choose to raise the flop to a) try to clean up overcards if I'm ahead (which is not totally ludacris given my reads on these players); and b) find out where I stand by the players' reactions to my raise. If I'm not 3-bet, I bet the turn and river. Otherwise I fold the turn.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:46 PM

Your reasoning is too fearful of losing a few extra bets for the chance of winning a large pot. Hero raises, and if it comes back 2 cold we can fold safely. Folding with 14:1 odds is insane.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your reasoning is too fearful of losing a few extra bets for the chance of winning a large pot. Hero raises, and if it comes back 2 cold we can fold safely. Folding with 14:1 odds is insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, for +EV we'll need to be best like 1 time in 5 or so at showdown. Between both Villains that like their hands and getting drawn out on, are we going to be best that often at SD?