Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM

Default man returns a strangers wallet and is rewarded...would you reward?

yesterday i was at the mall doing some christmas shopping, at around lunchtime i went to the corner bakery to eat some soup and since i was by myself i decided to sit out on their patio area to people watch (i sometimes like to do this).

half-way through my soup i notice one man (well dressed) walking toward the corner bakery and another man running up behind him. the man behind him says, "you dropped your wallet back there (pointing behind him)." the man with the wallet gives a look of total relief and says, "oh my, thank you so so much. here..."

then he rummages through his wallet and since this is happening right in front of me i can see that he has quite a bit of money in that wallet...my guess is probably a grand in $100's and a couple hundred in $20's (i guess he christmas shops w/ cash?).

anyway he takes out a $20 and hands it to the guy and tells him "thank you for returning the wallet." the guy looks at him strangely and declines, he insists on giving the money again and after a back and forth match the money is finally accepted.

my question to OOT: if you had this amount of money in your wallet and you drop it and a stranger returns it, do you give him any money? if so, how much? explain why you would or wouldn't give him any money.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: man returns a strangers wallet and is rewarded...would you reward?

No - clearly someone who would return the wallet is only interested in being a good samaritan. If they wanted money, they would keep the wallet.

I, for one, would probably find it a little insulting if someone tried to reward me for returning their wallet to them. The satisfaction of knowing I helped someone not get screwed out of a bunch of money would reward enough to me.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Clearly someone who would return the wallet is only interested in being a good samaritan. If they wanted money, they would keep the wallet. I, for one, would probably find it a little insulting if someone tried to reward me for returning their wallet to them. The satisfaction of knowing you helped someone not get screwed out of a bunch of money would reward enough to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When the person rejects the cash the first time, I would offer to buy them a cup of coffee/beer/whatever. If they declined then, I would let it drop.

Scott
Old 12-21-2005, 08:01 PM

I'd take the wallet if I didn't see who's pocket it came out of.. but If I saw himdrop it, I'd return it.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 PM

I would probably not give anything just because it just wouldn't occur to me right away. Afterwards I would feel like a dick, but now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why I feel I should give him money. I am curious to hear responses.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take the wallet if I didn't see who's pocket it came out of.. but If I saw himdrop it, I'd return it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wallets tend to often have identification in them, so this isn't really a valid excuse.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM

I'd offer as a reflex, figuring he'd at least saved me the time/trouble/expense of getting a new driver's license, stopping CC's, etc.

If anyone finds my wallet, returns it, and thinks I'm being a dick by offering some money, I apologize in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edited to add: Incidentally, this did happen a long time ago...a kid found the wallet and his dad called my house. I was either recently out of college and penniless or still in college and penniless, but I still offered him $10. The kid wanted to accept it, the father didn't want him to, but after I assured both of them it was OK, the kid accepted.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:09 PM

weird spot. i would feel insulted if someone offered me $$$ if i returned their wallet. but at the same time many people would expect something.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i think it would be retarded to actually TAKE OFFENSE if somebody offered you money
Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't take offense, but I wouldn't take their money either.

I wouldn't offer a reward either, but then I'm also far too ocd to actually drop my wallet.