Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Just Starting Out - Any Advice?

1) Playing poker online is illegal if you are a U.S. citizen, so be aware of the legal risks you are taking and the possible adverse affect on your real career that could have.

[ QUOTE ]
however, with your background, I'm sure you'll pick it up sooner than most.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't believe it. Counting BJ is a mechanical process. Playing poker is a lot different.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to play online get PokerTracker.

[/ QUOTE ]

best advice, ever
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Playing poker online is illegal if you are a U.S. citizen, so be aware of the legal risks you are taking and the possible adverse affect on your real career that could have.

[ QUOTE ]
however, with your background, I'm sure you'll pick it up sooner than most.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't believe it. Counting BJ is a mechanical process. Playing poker is a lot different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should clarify what I meant. What I was saying is, he should find the initial learning easier than most as he understands bankroll management, variance and odds etc. which is usually the most difficult to try and explain to someone just starting out (as they think the best player wins every time). Also, he is aware of the psychological emotions involved which is again a major bonus over someone just starting out (thinking it's easy). This should allow him to focus on the strategy involved in the game, without being bogged down.

PJS
Old 12-21-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I recently started to make a study of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start at the play money tables or pogo.com's Texas Hold 'Em. It's an absolute waste risking your own money at real money tables when you're just starting up at poker. This isn't as simple as BJ were you learn basic strategy then advanced BJ rules/odds and proper bankroll measures/management then grind it out x amount of days. I will estimate that it takes a player just starting out, who is very disciplined and is willing to work hard to improve his game, at least 6 months to become a winner at Texas Hold 'em.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I recently started to make a study of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start at the play money tables or pogo.com's Texas Hold 'Em. It's an absolute waste risking your own money at real money tables when you're just starting up at poker. This isn't as simple as BJ were you learn basic strategy then advanced BJ rules/odds and proper bankroll measures/management then grind it out x amount of days. I will estimate that it takes a player just starting out, who is very disciplined and is willing to work hard to improve his game, at least 6 months to become a winner at Texas Hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP:

The above is wrong, start with real money, if you feel like starting small you can do .02/.04 at stars but real experience is way better then play.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 AM

Playing at play money tables is pretty much worthless. It seems like you have a decent amount of money so I would suggest starting at .5/1. A winning player really only needs about $300-$500 to play at that level so you should be more than fine. Start at a level and move up as your bankroll allows. Try to avoid going bust once you start moving up (be willing to drop back down).

Search the forums as there are plenty of posts about bankroll requirements for varying types & limits of poker. Experience is best way to learn. Get pokertracker and start online. Read these forums and a post hands you are unsure about. Grow a tough skin and be ready to be willing to learn instead of going into defensive mode like many new posters do when people criticize their game. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 PM

No doubt - it seemed like such a great idea at the time - go to law school, graduate towards the top of the class, grind it out for a few years at an associate at a big firm, make partner, live the good life...

WTF was I thinking!!??

Just to keep this on topic - I agree with the Poker Tracker comments. That and read every hand that gets posted here and really try to put yourself in the poster's position before you read any answers. See how you would have handled i compared to what everyone else says and make sure you understand why they would have played the hand differently.

That's made a huge difference in my game just in the couple months I've been lurking here.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 PM

Based on your BR and level of gambling experience, I would start at Party 2/4. The games are easy, swings are low and the stakes will mean more to you than at .5/1. If NL is your game, I'd start at Party $100. Once you get some hands under your belt you can gradually move up. Next thing you know you'll be sleeping at night on a giant pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women. Just like all of us on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 04:05 PM

"Next thing you know you'll be sleeping at night on a giant pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women. Just like all of us on 2+2"

Well, of course. Isn't that why we're in this in the first place. LOL. And I hear everyone reaches that stage within 3 months.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:03 PM

1) Get PokerTracker
2) Get PokerAce Hud
3) Post hands and reply to other peoples' posted hands
4) You're already studying the game, and your background gives you a good idea of bankroll managment. Learn everything you can about proper table selection and use it wisely.
5) Don't play Party Poker Blackjack [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
6) Have fun.

Good luck.