Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 PM

Default KT in MP...flop play

So, I've been playing more 6-max, trying to get a better handle on it. Table as a whole is extremely loose, pretty passive preflop. Villan just got here recently (9 hands or so), but seems more aggro than the rest of the table.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero ?

Question 1, I guess, is should I have donkbet? Having donkbet, should I 3-bet?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: KT in MP...flop play

Besides KTo not being a great pf overlimp, the donk seems fine as you expected button to raise to get utg outta the hand which worked, after that though i think i 3bet and calldown, seems like a bit of leakage there though...
Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 PM

raise preflop. Given that you didn't, I'd check raise the flop.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM

This hand kind of illustrates why you should fold this preflop. If UTG had folded, I could see PRRing this, which would make the hand much easier to play, but as you played it you managed to back yourself into a -EV situation postflop.

Given that you're in the hand, I see two decent lines. One is the donk, hoping that button auto-raises and knocks UTG out. Given that line, I plan to call down. Another alternative is to c/r and lead the turn if button just calls the raise. I slightly prefer the second line because it gives me the initiative and might allow me to get away from this in the face of further aggression.

Honestly, though, I would not be in this spot.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PRRing

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Given that you're in the hand, I see two decent lines. One is the donk, hoping that button auto-raises and knocks UTG out. Given that line, I plan to call down. Another alternative is to c/r and lead the turn if button just calls the raise. I slightly prefer the second line because it gives me the initiative and might allow me to get away from this in the face of further aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...MP took a reasonable line, in your opinion (an opinion I've usually valued [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). I was actually Button in this hand, holding A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and MP's play confused me. Here's the remainder of the hand:

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

When MP bet out the flop I put him on a weak king (maybe suited in diamonds or clubs) or something like A8, and raised to clear outs. The turn check/call supported that and added the possibility of a hand like J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Any non-heart, non-board-pairing river was an easy bet/3-bet.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 PM

PF this is a raise or fold, given your description of the table and the unlikelyhood of getting this HU, I lean towards a fold. KTo in MP is not quite a good holding. From the CO I think its cool though. The line I would take is just like yours, hoping an aggresive button raises to do some protecting for me. Afterwards call down. Although, if it comes down pretty nice I might lead the river. Now that I think about it I might donk the turn too.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:36 PM

I see this makes some more sense now. Your play in the hand is great IMO too. Although I don't really think you are necessarily raising the flop to free up outs. You are doing it to protect what may be the best hand. I was looking at the hand previously from the position that you were MP and the somewhat aggresive player was on the button. What I would like to know is from the other side is what is your opinion of MP?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I would like to know is from the other side is what is your opinion of MP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I don't love the play. I think he's got to 3-bet this on the flop (I would have called, not capped) and then continue to lead, giving up when I eventually raised him (probably on the river). He's a calling-station with aspirations to aggressiveness, so if he's playing 6-max to learn that I think he's in the right place.

When I left the table (I was only playing while I waited for the family to get home, the USC-UCLA game having gotten REALLY boring), he was 40/0/0.2 after 50-some hands.