Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM

Default WPF 500NL final 2 tables - pocket 5s

Setup: Foxwoods WPF 500NL event. Started with 1245. Broke for the day with 20 remaining. Day 2 starts with 2000/4000 blinds and 500 antes. Hero hs 43000 and is the short stack at his table with an M of 4. Avg stack is 90000, chipleaders have 200k. Median chip stack at my table is about 75k. 16th-20th all get the same prize, then it increases at every position.

Hero was above avgerage in chips with 40 players left and lost 2/3rds of chips with JJ against AK. Since then Hero has played 5 pots, all open-pushes preflop and none called. Before then he was probobly seen as being on the tight side.

3rd hand of the day: Hero is UTG+1 and is dealt 5-5. UTG folds. Hero...

Easy push? Fold and wait for slightly better hand to push?

Please give me some input as to your exact thinking here.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: WPF 500NL final 2 tables - pocket 5s

awwwww, easiest push ever. you have an M of zilch, and you have a PP. Expect to get action, and be in a race or completely dominated. GG
Old 11-04-2005, 03:21 PM

ya I'd push, based on your image of going all-in 5x already you are probably going to get called if someone has something decent.. coinflip at best, but at this point gotta take ur chances.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:46 PM

stack sizes of blinds? Stack sizes of people on your left?

As stands, I push, I fold if no antes though.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM

no brainer - push.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 PM

I like to push here. Good chance you'll be called and in a race. Lesser chance you take it down uncontested or called by a higher PP.

You can't mind a race at this point. You're not gonna make more money without doubling through soon as you said 16-20 all pay the same.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stack sizes of blinds? Stack sizes of people on your left?

As stands, I push, I fold if no antes though.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. the extra 5k in antes makes a pretty big difference i think
Old 11-04-2005, 05:11 PM

Push. No matter what, at some point you'll have to win a conflip or a 60/40-type scenario, there's no way around it. This is a good a time as any.

FWIW, if you were in LP and it was raised before you, then it's a fold.

Kirk
Old 11-04-2005, 06:35 PM

I'd fold.

Hero is not going to have much FE after open pushing the last 5 times he's been in a pot. The players have had all night to think about how you will push all pairs, AT,KQ and other hands with your short stack. They have also had time to build their courage.

3 or 4 players are in fairly bad shape and will be willing to call with looser holdings than normal especially given the flat payout structure.

My action is going to be largely determined by BB who is getting 1.4:1 to call.

I think the M is deceptive here; 10.5XBB is a stack capable of crippling someone, and a single double up can put you back in the running for the tournament. I'd probably tighten my standards a notch and fold, unless I expected BB to fold.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold.

Hero is not going to have much FE after open pushing the last 5 times he's been in a pot. The players have had all night to think about how you will push all pairs, AT,KQ and other hands with your short stack. They have also had time to build their courage.

3 or 4 players are in fairly bad shape and will be willing to call with looser holdings than normal especially given the flat payout structure.

My action is going to be largely determined by BB who is getting 1.4:1 to call.

I think the M is deceptive here; 10.5XBB is a stack capable of crippling someone, and a single double up can put you back in the running for the tournament. I'd probably tighten my standards a notch and fold, unless I expected BB to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting to see the first post of this position. I completely understand this side. My M may be 4 but I am not in critical condition, as my chip stack isn't horribly low compared to the rest of the field. Most of us are in similar situations.

On the other hand, I welcome one call of overcards, so other players understanding my push criteria and building courage isn't a problem. At this point I'll gladly take a coinflip to give me some breathing room and an above avg stack. I'm not looking to get 18th place vs 20th, but 10th or better vs 20th.

I dont expect a second person to call the bet if another player calls (or reraises all-in himself), unless of course they wake up with a premium hand.

The other thing I can fear is a large overpair. some overpairs to 5-5 will possibly fold in this place as they don't want to get crippled by me. What are the odds of any of 8 players waking up with 99+?