Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Grand Tournament Good/Bad Comments

A flatter structure is the way to go for these tourneys with a majority of the field qualifing for it as opposed to direct buyins.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi PokerRoom.com-

Would it be possible to add a time bank and/or increase the time to make a decision on each hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
As we continue to advance and develop the GT concept further some sort of added timer device will probably be incorporated.
But it needs to compatible with the rest of the GT concept.

It's a bit difficult this time around to predict the number of participants in the GT3 but we may well be looking at 15+ hours of play over two days as it is.

Compared to the WSOP that is nothing, but I don't think WSOP is necessarily the best benchmark to measure it by.

And any form for time bank device or a general increase in action time might add to that considerably.

Also, with so many online players not used to the extra time to contemplate who knows what people would try in order to take advantage of it. And slow things up even further. Believe me. We've seen it...

By this I am not trying to say that a time bank wouldn't improve the GT events even further (because it would) I'm just saying that I think that we are looking beyond that option and see what else could be done to balance the tournament even better in the future. And that, of course, takes some time.

C u at the tables!

Tournament Team - PokerRoom.com
Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Can You Address This Please?

Registration starts at 3PM today.
For a longer reply as to why, when and why not, please check my other reply regarding registration.

For all other GT3 related info check the tournament calendar or the GT3 Blog .

C u at the tables!

Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Good work on actually asking poker players what they think. I'd play this, were i ever to have this much time on my hands...
Old 08-05-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, with so many online players not used to the extra time to contemplate who knows what people would try in order to take advantage of it. And slow things up even further. Believe me. We've seen it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the players who only play on PokerRoom are not used to it, but most of the other major sites have this feature, and it really doesn't slow down the tournament all that much except perhaps just before the bubble.

The thing is, in a tournament with a lot of play, some decisions will be extremely difficult and will require perhaps two minutes to decide on the correct action. There are several players on this forum who have already expressed that they will not play in the GT or your other tournaments for the lack of a time bank.

Perhaps you could decrease the amount of time given by the regular timer slightly, and then give the time bank to compensate? Most decisions are very quick, like most preflop folds for example.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the players who only play on PokerRoom are not used to it, but most of the other major sites have this feature, and it really doesn't slow down the tournament all that much except perhaps just before the bubble.

The thing is, in a tournament with a lot of play, some decisions will be extremely difficult and will require perhaps two minutes to decide on the correct action. There are several players on this forum who have already expressed that they will not play in the GT or your other tournaments for the lack of a time bank.

Perhaps you could decrease the amount of time given by the regular timer slightly, and then give the time bank to compensate? Most decisions are very quick, like most preflop folds for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input!
I think the reasoning is that with an estimated 16 hours of play it would have to be quite a large time bank.

Of course we could have it reset in between days but I still find that a time bank, although better than nothing, falls a bit short of the overall purpose of allowing players to think EVERY time they have a major decision.
For three minutes if need be.

But thanks to the ongoing debate here I think we might have a solution for how we regard the problem.

A solution hopefully incorporated in time for the GT4.

For PR tournaments in general I think you will find time banks available within too long.

All this input has been great. Now we definitely have something to work with.

C u at the tables!

Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-05-2005, 10:22 AM

You are missing the point. It is not about the donks who fail to recognize and take advantage of the opportunity to play back at DPs. It is the whole concept of how in the world an absent player be given the opportunity to win a hand? Tell me of any other tourneys whether on the net or B&M where this is allowed. BTW, I've seen instances when the DP turned out to really have the best hand.

Pls re-read my post again.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:21 PM

I am playing (yay!, looking forward to it), dunno if this adds anything to this discussion, but I really want a timebank too

IMO it is a must...

Johan
PS: Great way of getting feedback! Good job asking here!
PS2: I send an e-mail concerning this timebank business before GTII, It shouldn't be too hard to implement. Your programmers little lazy?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:02 PM

ID4, I do not understand your argument.

Suppose I have the nuts on the river, and bet all-in. Then, while my opponent is thinking about whether to call, I lose power and am disconnected.

Surely you aren't saying that I ought to lose all my chips on this hand just because I am "absent".
Old 08-06-2005, 01:59 PM

What is the payout structure?

Suggestion: have more of this kind of info on your website.