Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: I want to play poker from the Beach

[ QUOTE ]
I think you just need a really long network cable. Say a few hundred miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are able to find a city where there is a hotel by the beach...... I think I saw one of these in Europe once
Old 07-30-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking about living elsewhere and traveling and playing poker. However I do not want to play poker from internet cafes. Would it be possible to get internet access on the beach in the middle of no where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just get a place at south Mrytle or somewhere on the Outer Banks that has Internet access.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 AM

I am living elsewhere and traveling and having fun.

However, my multiple bots play internet poker, while I chat up girls at internet cafes. Would it be possible to get more passive income in the middle of no where?

I'd get paid up to 50,000 / month for this.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:09 AM

In europe we have UMTS/GPRS for this purpose. It is a card that you insert into your laptop. The card "Calls" the ISP and you can play. Speed is usually great in cities, bad in other places, but still enough to play without using your DP's.

Also, when your not in your home country, it needs roaming,
which means you pay up to 11euros/MB transferred

I do not know if this is also available in america.

For me, this is a great solution for acessing the internet/playing on the road.

Johan
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 PM

verizon has the wireless broadband. In cities you can get speeds up to 2-3M and outside major cities you get speeds at ~250K. You can have access anywhere verizon has phone service. You have to buy a card for your laptop which is about $150 and then it is $80 a month for the broadband and $50 if you don't want the broadband.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take your laptop outside on a bright day, operating just off battery power, and I think you will find that it's almost impossible to view the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2005, 03:56 PM

this is easy if you aren't on some kind of secluded beach with no sign of life. i have the cingular satellite wireless card ($99 a month) and it will work as long as you have a cell phone connection, so if you are on a beach in like destin, florida or san diego you would be golden but if you were to be wanting to 4 table in the galapago islands this would be a little tricker.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as long as you have a cell phone connection

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume through cingular only? Or can you use another carrier for the connection? Usage fees or is it $99 flat fee? Includes cell phone service?
Old 07-30-2005, 04:28 PM

Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint (and possibly others) all have data plans. Cingular is the only one that still offers an true "unlimited" option, although all have (accidentally) offered "unlimited" plans before -- and then cut people off who go over some unpublished amount of data transfer in a month.

I use my Samsung A500 phone (about three years old) to connect my laptop to the web when I'm in transit between work and home; I happen to have one of the Sprint "unlimited" packages (got it before they changed their plan offerings, and have refused to change my plan since). I can two-table Party for an hour at a time (the length of my train ride) without problem -- when I try to step it up to three tables, it would sometimes have connection issues.

I can't speak to the speed or reliability of the Cingular or Verizon offerings.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume through cingular only? Or can you use another carrier for the connection? Usage fees or is it $99 flat fee? Includes cell phone service?

[/ QUOTE ]
it's a flat monthly fee and it's a seperate bill from your cell phone service. it does not coincide with your cell phone it just works like a cell phone range wise.

positives- of course you can connect most anywhere, which is of course excellent for poker players.

negatives- depending on your connection it can be slow at times, if you have one bar of range it will be about the speed of dial-up internet and if you are playing poker with one bar of range then you run the risk of timing out hands occasionally.

then again this only happens to me in remote country towns while on a bus traveling, anytime i am in any city it works very well.