Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-23-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Poker dreams

After long usually late night poker sessions I find that I dream about poker all night, not just random stuff but really vivid images as if i'm really playing. I find it's worse if i've been playing omaha probably because thats games more technical and I have to put more thought into it. Maybe it's because I haven't given my brain a chance to slow down before going to bed but I feel mentally exhausted when I wake up in the morning. Anyone else get these dreams?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Poker dreams

Yes.

I also used to dream about Tetris after a marathon session. Now that ought to date me.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:16 PM

Yes. I'm always deciding how to play my pocket Kings. (sometimes its Jacks.)
Old 11-23-2005, 07:08 PM

Do yourself a favor and spend an hour or so before you go to sleep doing something other than poker. Don't think about poker at all, take a walk, play a video game. Go to sleep once poker is totally off your mind and you won't have to agonize about whether or not some guy just flopped a set against your AA while you should be getting good sleep.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:03 PM

last night i dreamt dragging in a HUGE pot with quad 9s.
hopefully it's a taste of things to come on friday!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 PM

Yea this happens quite often. But it's usually always the same thing.

I flop a monster and I slowplay it but extract tons of chips. But then when the river cards come my holecards have changed and I am sitting there with crap facing a major decision on what to do with one people left in the hand and a really huge pot infront of me. I have no idea why I am dreaming a dream like this, anyone know? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 11:32 PM

im sure many poker players dream about the game, me included. however i have no problem getting good sleep. you should try and unwind after playing. read a book and not one about poker!! this is an interesting topic. i wonder how many players have similiar problems.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:17 AM

I think the holecards changing have something to do with not being able to read in your sleep or something like that cause it happens to me in my dreams too. Letters changing in dreams is well documented I think in sleep research.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 AM

Last night I dreamed I was playing against Phil Hellmuth at a table sitting out on the beach.

He later morphed into Bill Filmaff and started talking trash to me. Weirdest dream ever.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Their's a theory in pychology that people can overcome phobias threw dream analisis. I.E., if they fear public speaking, if the dream that there giving a speech and everything go great, and everyone cheers for them, then they will be a lil less fearful of it when they wake up.

So applying that to poker, if you can alucid dream that like "no one can read me" or something, it might actually improve your live play. it might help get rid of the old "i think they knew im bluffing, im giving it away" troubled thoughts of live play...strange eh?