Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Doyles big laydown

I'm sure players were much more passive back in those days, so much so that this might be possible.

Doyle raises before the flop so the chance that any of them have the straight is almost nil

it's capped on on the flop and he is holding 2 of the aces, nobody reraised him before the flop so he isnt expecting anyone to be holding an ace worthy of a reraise/cap on this flop so he believes he is up agianst a set

the turn pairs and they are betting out, he lays it down.

pretty incredible if true, the game was nothing like it is nowadays, maybe he had an awesome read that he could tell they were holding sets on the flop.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:37 PM

I can't believe you spent time trying to justify that laydown.
Perhaps you're a NL player, and don't understand how incredibly poor a play making this fold would be in limit (also donkey-play in NL, for the record).

Short of both opponents flipping their cards face up, no 'read' supports folding this. But hey, whatever sells a lot of books, right?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short of both opponents flipping their cards face up, no 'read' supports folding this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2005, 09:46 PM

The main point I was trying to make was, maybe Doyle had played enough with these guys to know that they would only call or raise a 3-bet on the flop with at least a set if there was an ace showing and doyle was the preflop raiser also showing agression on the flop.

I would never make that kind of laydown, I am trying to imagine what the days of poker were like before any authorative books on poker were out, I see a bunch of old men who are only playing the nuts and never mix up their play.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:08 AM

20/40 game set over set over set A94 , only two of us made it to showdown, the quad Aces and poor me with Fours full.

Maybe I was cheated or the lady lied to me about laying down 99, but what else could she possibly have she put in a lot of money.

Proably she knew the guy and he nonverbally told her he had nuts and to let the sucker (me) pay him off. lol. Guys will do anything to maybe get laid I guess.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never make that kind of laydown, I am trying to imagine what the days of poker were like before any authorative books on poker were out, I see a bunch of old men who are only playing the nuts and never mix up their play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong... actually back in the day you had a mix of suckers and sharks. In a small town environment you get to know who's who. Not sure of that particular hand but I've played with some of those folks that also played with Doyle back in the day here. I've seen 2 of those players in a hand where I kid you not, one guy layed down a straight flush to another guy (who had a higher straight flush). What you may not believe but is absolutely true is that this was a 3-6 limit game.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 AM

I remember when Doyle laid this hand down...it was the summer of dickety-seven (the Kaiser stole our word for dickety). Doyle had an onion on the belt which was the style at the time. Anyway, so the Kaiser caps the turn and gets so excited throwing his chips into the pot that his spiked helmet falls off and impales his left sack:

Doyle: Did that hurt?
Kaiser: (obviously in pain) No.
Doyle: You have quads. I fold.
Kaiser: Damn you doooooyle, you've foiled me for the last time!!!!!!one111!!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:34 AM

That's just horrible poker. In limit holdem, not taking a straight flush to showdown is awful.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember when Doyle laid this hand down...it was the summer of dickety-seven (the Kaiser stole our word for dickety). Doyle had an onion on the belt which was the style at the time. Anyway, so the Kaiser caps the turn and gets so excited throwing his chips into the pot that his spiked helmet falls off and impales his left sack:

Doyle: Did that hurt?
Kaiser: (obviously in pain) No.
Doyle: You have quads. I fold.
Kaiser: Damn you doooooyle, you've foiled me for the last time!!!!!!one111!!

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-21-2005, 09:39 AM

let us assume that it is the absolute truth that doyle laid down aces full to quads in a limit game.

to all those who say it is a terrible laydown in any limit game no matter what read you have on your opponent, i say baloney. according to the FTOP, it is correct to lay aces full down to quads depending on the odds the pot is laying you. doyle brunson is arguably the greatest poker player to ever live...who are you to dispute his read?

hell, twice in the past 2 months, i've seen amatuer players make laydwns in no limit and pot limit games that were nothing short of brilliance....and that many of you would say are terrible.

the first was in a $2/5 B&M n/l game. the player called a preflop raise with QQ in the hole. before the flop even came, he held out his cards as if to muck and says to the dealer something to the effect of, "if the flop doesn't hit me, i'm done with the hand." the flop came A-Q-rag rainbow. the player with a set of Q's then says to the dealer, "that's not what i was looking for, dealer." the PFR bets, and the player with middle set insta mucks face up to the astonishment of everyone at the table. the PFR tables his set of Aces after having the pot pushed his way.

the 2nd instance was very similar, but in a $1/2 pot limit game. there was a raise in early position. my wife re-raises from the BB with KK in the pocket. HU to the flop, which was K-Q-7...2 clubs. my wife leads out for about 1/2 the pot. the original raisor then makes a sizeable raise. my wife comes back over the top. the other player then mucks a set of Q's face up. neither my wife, nor the other player had more than $200.00 to start the hand. also, neither my wife, nor the other player are considered to be among the better players at the table.

tripdad