Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Hit the Flush on the Turn First Player to Act Moves All-in.....

Well....I did make the call.

I thought about it for a while though. The novice is usually animated and constantly fidgeting around with a huge [censored]-eating grin on his face. After he moved all in he wouldn’t keep eye contact with me and was quite subdued compared to normal. He also couldn’t hold his normal smile. I put him on the ace as well.

Do you think this was a misread?

I have a bad habit of putting people on specific hands instead of a probable range. Sometimes I am right, but other times I convince myself of only one scenario and make a move based on that. I also have a hard time against novice players.

He flipped over the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a higher flush. I obviously lost the hand. I don’t know if I would make the call again. It’s hard to fold when you get the card you were looking for, but I guess that I something that I have to work on. If it were another [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and not the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I might have folded thinking he made a better flush not trip aces. His brother is a big all-in guy if he hits trips on the board, so that may have misled me too.

Just to make me feel worse, he went on to heads-up play with the only girl there (one of the most weak-tight players I have ever seen) with a 30:1 + chip lead and lost!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM

Instacall against probable range unless you have strong physical tell
Old 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM

Saw that coming, didnt think youd post this unless you called and lost.

But anyways, I still think its a fold. You have a huge stack already, you dont NEED to gamble your tournament away on a decision where you seem to be 50/50. If you had a much smaller stack or had a better read on him then I understand making the call, but thats not the case here.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well....I did make the call.

I thought about it for a while though. The novice is usually animated and constantly fidgeting around with a huge [censored]-eating grin on his face. After he moved all in he wouldn’t keep eye contact with me and was quite subdued compared to normal. He also couldn’t hold his normal smile. I put him on the ace as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to point out that this information is pretty relevant to the original question. When you have a strong read in a live tourney you can't just treat it like an unknowable online situation.

I don't know if this information changes the answer although my hunch is that it probably does. Only you really know how strong the tell was since you were there in person.