Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Folding preflop to a raise when you know your dominated

56s plays better in a multiway pot than ATo, but you have ATo here. You are looking to flop huge here, and if you don't, you have to be able to get away from your hand. If hitting anything will make you lose a ton of bets, then folding preflop might actually be correct. But you will eventually have to learn how to play better postflop. If I hit an A or T, I'm going to have to pay attention to what my opponent does.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real key to this type of situation is how are you going to play this when you hit something. So you flop a ten, do you intend on calling him all the way down because you may have sucked out his AK? Can you tell if he has UI AK or if he has QQ? What if you flop an A? Same problem in reverse. At this level, if you show any aggression for information purposes when you flop a ten, the weak tight players are just going to call you all the way down and flip JJ or QQ. Same thing with AQ. The only hands you are going to be able to dodge are AA and AK. Even a tight nit will play back hard at you if you both flop and A. This is the real problem with these types of hands. Being dominated isn't the issue as much as getting into trouble losing a big pot. I would much rather have 56s here

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the thing that too many people just don't get. They say, "You're getting 4:1 you have to call!" and then they lose another 6BB postflop because they hit part of their hand and were never ahead.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM

You have a bunch of money in the pot and a protected call. So call. I'm not sure how you can put the button on a huge hand, esp. in a micro-limit game. See what you flop and then play from there. If you flop your two pair or whatever and it's checked to you, you can bet out hoping the button will raise and maybe drive a few players out. Maybe you can do this even if you just flop an Ace.

I'm thinking about the pre-flop limp though. Since you just have limpers, I could see raising here to maybe buy the button and/or get the blinds out. I could also see folding because ATo doesn't play well multi-way. Thoughts anyone?

ScottieK
Old 11-28-2005, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I understood that pot odds obviously "require" me to call, but it's just that hitting even ja pair of Aces could lose me a lot of money.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:30 PM

If you don't like your kicker, then fold preflop against the limpers. Once you do call, the button raises, then you should call and see the flop.

If you just flop an Ace, and you're positive you're beaten by the button, then don't call him down to the river. That's the only way you'll lose a lot of money...by getting married to the hand. FOLD instead. But I just can't see how you can be so sure he has AK or AA (really unlikely if you have one A and there's another A on the board). He could have KK or QQ. I'd probably bet out, hope he raises and knocks some guys out, then call and maybe bet the turn depending on what's going on.

Maybe this will help - Ed Miller's post about micro-limit games:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=

ScottieK