Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Wow. Just . . . WOW. (Sorry, LC)

Is it a full moon tonight, or do 7Stud players at Party *never* give a crap that you've paired your door card? Because if they always play that way . . . I missed the memo.

I am not a 7Stud player . . . I'm one of those shorthanded limit HE slugs, though I play some Stud8 when I want some variety. Thought I'd branch out a little into regular Stud, just to keep things fresh. Reread Sklansky's "7Stud for Advanced Players) (well, at least some of it, damn, the man needed an editor on that one), and booted up a couple of Party tables.

Apparently, they'll call you down with their split pair of queens even if you pair your door card and start raising them. Or open UTG with Q75r and take another one off on 4th street after they get reraised by someone showing a King.

Sorry, you guys probably knew all this already. And didn't send me the memo. But . . . damn. Damn damn damn. Damn!

Hey, I said it was going to be low content . . . but what is the expected win rate for someone who knows what they're doing on these tables? Eleventy-billion BB/100 or so? I'm guessing?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Wow. Just . . . WOW. (Sorry, LC)

[ QUOTE ]
what is the expected win rate for someone who knows what they're doing on these tables? Eleventy-billion BB/100 or so? I'm guessing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The full moon must have really helped. But despite what you might think, the party stud games arent nearly as profitable as their hold'em counterparts at any limit. I'm not sure what limit you were playing at but you can call yourself a stud expert if you can average 1BB/hr in 10-20 or 20-40 over time.

Mike Emery
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....you can call yourself a stud expert if you can average 1BB/hr in 10-20 or 20-40 over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That gives me something to shoot for. Thanks Mike.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Two things. First, PP is full of fish - don't be mad about it, just take advantage of it. E.g. don't represent trips if you don't really have it. You'll get plenty of callers when you do, so there's no need to try to make money bluffing.

Second, there are a TON of people, like you, who bet trying to represent trips when they don't really have it. People know this, and it gives them reason to call down. Again, don't be mad about it, but rather take advantage of it!

I think its hard to generalize a win rate...afterall, people's skill varies, don't you think? I do well at Stud, and I suck at HE, so I would tend to say stud is more profitable. Emery kicks a$$ on HE, so naturally he thinks its more profitable.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two things. First, PP is full of fish - don't be mad about it, just take advantage of it. E.g. don't represent trips if you don't really have it. You'll get plenty of callers when you do, so there's no need to try to make money bluffing.

Second, there are a TON of people, like you, who bet trying to represent trips when they don't really have it. People know this, and it gives them reason to call down. Again, don't be mad about it, but rather take advantage of it!

I think its hard to generalize a win rate...afterall, people's skill varies, don't you think? I do well at Stud, and I suck at HE, so I would tend to say stud is more profitable. Emery kicks a$$ on HE, so naturally he thinks its more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, no complaining here. I went on a 50BB rush over 110 hands . . . I had some luck, but at least half of that was from people calling me down after I paired my door card. This was Party 5/10, not higher . . . but I can't believe that the 5/10 isn't beatable for at least 3-4BB/100, if not more. (I'm guessing that just like the Stud8 games, there's a very wide differential in player quality between the 5/10 Stud games and the 10/20 Stud games.)

Or maybe I just got lucky and sat down at two tables stocked with more fish than usual. Talk about your small sample sizes. Still . . . damn.

Goes without saying I completely agree with that no-bluffing thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-28-2005, 08:48 PM

I play a lot of 1/2 and 2/4 over at pacific and people will find whatever reason to call. They'll call an paired door card with a lower pair, open trips with straight or flush draws that are almost dead, etc. What i've learned from this is A) don't bluff, you'll be called, and B) don't slowplay anything, because you'll be called. Also, a paired door card often doesn't mean anything since many players have vpip of around 100%.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, no complaining here. I went on a 50BB rush over 110 hands . . . I had some luck, but at least half of that was from people calling me down after I paired my door card. This was Party 5/10, not higher . . . but I can't believe that the 5/10 isn't beatable for at least 3-4BB/100, if not more. (I'm guessing that just like the Stud8 games, there's a very wide differential in player quality between the 5/10 Stud games and the 10/20 Stud games.)

Or maybe I just got lucky and sat down at two tables stocked with more fish than usual. Talk about your small sample sizes. Still . . . damn.

Goes without saying I completely agree with that no-bluffing thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think its normal to get trips a lot over 110 hands? I can play a week without pairing my door card. Congratulations. You won a lot in one night. Quit your day job and become a poker pro.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think its normal to get trips a lot over 110 hands? I can play a week without pairing my door card. Congratulations. You won a lot in one night. Quit your day job and become a poker pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to get all smarmy. I'm going to pair my door card on 4th street around 5% of the time (if it's already paired, i.e., it's a 2-outer) and 7% of the time if it's not. So around 1/15 or 1/20 of the hands I play -- and that's just 4th street. Not exactly a super-rare occurrence.

Was just surprised that almost nobody at the 5/10 game seems to care when it happens, and just calls me down all the way. It's generalizable to other instances -- cases where it's obvious they're beaten but they'll chase those 4-outers all the way to the river.

By the way, I multitable 10/20 and 20/40 shorthanded limit HE, and could quit my day job and become a poker pro anytime I wanted. So nyeah.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:15 PM

Maybe you were cracking some big hands that you didn't have any business playing against.. e.g., someone has aces and you pair your doorcard with deuces. I'll assume you're smart enough to realize that short run swings like this usually mean a player is playing too loose.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I multitable 10/20 and 20/40 shorthanded limit HE, and could quit my day job and become a poker pro anytime I wanted. So nyeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

So nyeah...we got a tough guy on our hands here...