Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-28-2005, 07:47 AM

Default PLO8 hand

PS .25/.50

Hero: $49 UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain: $38 in CO

Preflop

UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, fold to CO, CO raises to $2.75, button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets $6, MP1 folds, CO calls, BB calls

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $20, BB folds, Hero ???
Old 11-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: PLO8 hand

I would fold this hand. Since the villain raised pre-flop, it is too likely that he also has A2 and you will get quartered at best unless you hit an A,2, or 6. I would put villain on a hand such as A24Q, A25K, etc. (even A2KX and A2QX are not good for your hand) and you are not getting very good implied odds as villain already has the majority of his stack in the pot.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:42 PM

Looks good so far. Folding the turn is terrible! No way are you greater than a 2:1 dog here and you have a ton of scoop outs. Any A, 2, 3, or 6 will gives you the nut low + straight and a 7 or 8 will give you the nut low. Call. Jam the river if you hit a low card, otherwise check-fold your missed draw.

Edit: On 2nd thought, after playing around with twodimes it appears you have worse equity that I originally thought given several of villain's possible hands. It's very likely hero is worse than a 2:1 dog on the turn. I was surprised by this result, thanks for the example. So I retract my original statement -- folding here is probably better.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM

You did show weakness by checking the turn. You are getting 2.5 to 1 pot odds, so you would have to be fairly sure the opponent has A2XX to make the fold. If you think the opponent is making a move on you, calling would not be that bad a move. Against a hand such as KKXX or QQXX, you are getting good odds to call (3 to 2 odds).

The only reason I would consider folding is the raise preflop usually means A2XX or AAXX, and from his play on the flop I do not think villain has AAXX. And you are just not getting proper odds to draw against A2XX with a better high hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Check-raise the flop all in. Or Check-call the flop.

-g
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 PM

Could you explain your reasoning for this line Gergery?

Cheers

DD
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you explain your reasoning for this line Gergery?
Cheers
DD

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking raising allow a few good things to happen 1) it gets checked around. You’d be ok with this since you get a free card to hit your draw, 2) CO continuation bets and some/all of the 3 people inbetween call/raise. This is good since if you miss you have nothing and if you hit you have a pretty strong hand – therefore more callers are good, 3) CO could fold – unlikely but you’d be happy with that, 4) you and CO get it all in. you’re fine with that since you’re EV neutral to positive vs. his range here.

It also avoids two bad scenarios 1) you hit a great card like an A on the turn and he gets away from his hand, and 2) you catch a bad card on the turn and he puts you to the test when you are a moderate dog but with lots of outs

-g
Old 11-30-2005, 02:27 PM

I think the problem in this hand is from taking control of the hand betting with ur amazing draw on the flop OOP. If its checked around to you thats one thing because this is a good enough flop to get urself all in on the flop, with the dead money that will develop. By leading out you are causing a lot of trouble for yourself on the turn and river because you will have to check a blank just like you did. However, if CO had more money after his turn bet I would make this call because ur implied odds would be insane for quartering him. I think that u have to put him on a hand like A2kx or A2Qx at worse which means that u r looking for a A26 to quarter and a 3 to split. However, if you do hit ur A2 or 6 and he still have more than a pot bet left I would make this call because he is going to put his whole stack in with a decent high and the nut low and you will get a huge chunk of his money.
This draw is sweet, but I dont like building this pot from OOP on the flop and having a costly turn to see. Just check/call or check/raise pot this flop (although i would probably just check/call). Then when u call this turn bet he still have more in front of him so that implied odds are there and the pot is small. Also, its much easier to fold if usr still not getting the implied odds ur thinking because u have less invested. Or, he might get scared by ur call and just check the turn and u will get a free river. I just think that ur chances of winning the hand go up significantly by checking this flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:30 PM

I'd check raise the flop and try to get all in right then and now, or pick up the pot when they fold. You like being called here by a lot of hands, so a call is really what you want.

As you played it, I wouldnt give up the lead on the turn. Stay aggressive. Sometimes you'll miss on the river, but I think you've got to be the agressor in this hand with this holding, because you have a semi-wrap and an uncounterfeitable low draw. Pot the turn and be happy with a call or a fold.

Tex
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise the flop all in.

[/ QUOTE ]
or the max, then lead turn ~regardless of what comes off