Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: When do you move down/what do you do?

quit being a pussy. if anything cut down the tables to 2-3. there is no point in dropping down in limits, unless you have raped your BR.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cut back on the tables and/or stakes until you "get your groove back"..(you know what I mean).

[/ QUOTE ]

All the advice pertaining to getting through downswings is really just advice on how to be in a good mental place.

Downswings just rip on our emotional state (especially before we're used to them. I imagine someone with 300k+ hands is used to them and doesn't worry much if at all anymore). If we can find a way to not let the decrease in winnings negatively affect our play, then we can avoid getting into less profitable situations like moving down in limits or playing fewer tables.

I actually tend to play more tables when I'm losing so to make up my lost money in less time. I told myself I'd play fewer tables today, but it just didn't seem to make any sense. I know I'm a winning player. I am confident that I can win the most by playing x tables. I can't justify playing any fewer than x tables.

The advice that makes our poker experience easier on our psychological state is typically good advice, but it's more of a work around than a solution.

Teach a man to fish. Grind your way through it.

--
for 6max, I wouldn't feel comfortable playing with <500BB for my limit though. I understand why the high limit pros don't like having <1000BB.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:23 AM

I don't have any good advice other than suck it up and move down when the bankroll is really under threat (doesn't sound like it is at the moment). 160 BBs is not a huge downswing at 6-max (nor necessarily a really huge downswing at full-ring).

Although you may not recognize me as a solid player, I'm guessing you recognize Entity as a pretty good player. Look at his graph in this thread for some perspective.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now with graph action:

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF IS THIS CRAP?

You call that a downswing?

Get the hell out of here.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF IS THIS CRAP?

You call that a downswing?

Get the hell out of here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your contribution and advice. I will value and cherish it.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:27 AM

Personally I move down when I feel I am losing confidence. This happened to me about a month ago -- 350BB downswing at rather high stakes led me to cut in half and get most of it back.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:26 AM

Joshua,

First off I want to say that I respect you as a poster and I don't mean to come across as a Jerk. Secondly, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, you have won 1000 BB at 5/10. If you were properly rolled (500 BB) you should have 1500 BB. Why do you only have 500 BB? You realize bankroll is different concept that the amount of money you have on site. If your bankroll is not 340 BB than you might need to consider moving down. I'm hoping you can reload at any time though (you alude to it in a later post).

If you have a larger bankroll and are just worried about not having enough on site, why would that cause you to move down. The amount you have on site is immaterial if you can deposit more at the drop of a dime (Ha).

Next, if you think you are a winner, and that seems likely since you are over a 1.7 BB /100 winner over 5K hands, why move down if bankroll isn't an issue? There are reasons to move down if you are properly bankrolled. You might be tilting and need to play a game where you are a heavy favorite. Build confidence. That sort of thing.

But hell if you need to built confidence everytime you drop 160 bets, you are never going to get everywhere. (Especially in 6-max) How can I put this in perspective? I've had losing streaks that lasted longer than your entire career at 5/10.

link

NLSoldier dropped over 800 BB. That's a swing 5 times the magnitude of your measly complaint.

Soldier

I've also dropped 240 bets in 24 hours. These things happen in shorthand limit. You have to toughen up to survive.

Krishan
Old 12-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Krishan: Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you have won 1000 BB at 5/10. If you were properly rolled (500 BB) you should have 1500 BB. Why do you only have 500 BB? You realize bankroll is different concept that the amount of money you have on site. If your bankroll is not 340 BB than you might need to consider moving down. I'm hoping you can reload at any time though (you alude to it in a later post).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm living off my poker income and I'm paying off school debt. Every month I prune my (onsite) BR back down to 500BB's, and transfer the rest to a liquid fund. I then take my monthly expenses out of that.

The liquid fund is also my "gonna pay off school debt" fund, so I'm reluctant to tap into it. I've been "pro" since april, and I've yet to have a month where I didn't crack my nut. Being halfway through the month and being twice as far away from my nut as I was at the beginning of the month was a little disconcerting.

Going broke to 0 is something I can bear, going broke to -20k with no income is something I can't. That's why I am conservative when it comes to taking shots. I want out of debt real bad, once I get that, then I can gamb00l some.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a larger bankroll and are just worried about not having enough on site, why would that cause you to move down. The amount you have on site is immaterial if you can deposit more at the drop of a dime (Ha).

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said above, I wanna use that money to get out of debt. I'll tap into it if I need to, but I'd almost rather move down than reload. (Not sure about this yet, one of the reasons I posted this thread, I wanted some other people's insight).

[ QUOTE ]
Next, if you think you are a winner, and that seems likely since you are over a 1.7 BB /100 winner over 5K hands, why move down if bankroll isn't an issue? There are reasons to move down if you are properly bankrolled. You might be tilting and need to play a game where you are a heavy favorite. Build confidence. That sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, confidence really isn't the issue. When I sat down today I felt great and ready to make money. When I stood up I felt like I could continue playing and playing my A game. I still feel that way.

I'm realizing now that 160BB's really is nothing, but it's the biggest downswing I had, and it happened pretty quickly. I've never experienced this sort of swing in my year of playing, so to me it seemed like a big deal. Guess I was just lucky. ^_^

Those huge swings you talk about really surprise me. If you don't mind talking about it publicly, I'm curious what your numbers are:
<ul type="square">[*]STD/100[*]BB/100[*]VP$IP[*]PFR[*]Total hands played at 6m.[/list]

In short: What happened to the 300BB = tiny risk of ruin days? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Jesus, my graph is beautiful compared to some of those horror stories from that thread. This is just a little blip.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 PM

how is it even possible for 160BB to be your worst downswing? that's amazing...i have 100BB downswings almost daily. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]