Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: 97o from SB NL200

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on UTG? Any way he limps in with/goes broke here with A9?

I definately think you're ahead of BB a lot, but unless UTG is open limping a lot with suited gappers or will go broke with a 9/donkey overpair, I would seriously debate letting this go on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I have no real read on utg other than his stats, but I think 30/2 is fairly wide range and overpairs or suited connectors that got a piece aren't out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it BB who had 32/2?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I definately think you're ahead of BB a lot, but unless UTG is open limping a lot with suited gappers or will go broke with a 9/donkey overpair, I would seriously debate letting this go on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I have no real read on utg other than his stats, but I think 30/2 is fairly wide range and overpairs or suited connectors that got a piece aren't out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I made a mistake in OP. UTG was 30/2. Thanks for poiting that out.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 PM

If you call, what's you're plan on the turn?

Any reasonable bet completely pot commits you against villian, and if you check, he's gonna bet any reasonable hand.

Against an aggro, check/raising the turn all-in is a reasonable play, but then we have to worry about the straight draws.

I just don't see that many hands that we're ahead of cold-calling here.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I made a mistake in OP. UTG was 30/2. Thanks for poiting that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. I could definetly see him limp with semi-connectors here, or failing a limp-reraise with KK/AA? Ofcourse sets are also a possibility but only one is reasonably likely. I don't see how someone could consider folding here with top two without further aggression however. Calling and bet/folding turn, I guess, but without more of a read than stats I would never fold flop
Old 12-16-2005, 06:31 PM

any reads on UTG post-flop? is this more likely to be 9x/TT/JJ, or a set?

with no reads i call and plan to c/r all-in on the turn, if he checks behind, i value bet any non-5/6/T/J, check-call if those fall

i see a lot of hands at this level that cold-call here, especially against a loose player, namely any 9, TT, and JJ. its very likely that he doesnt want to raise to isolate BB because he is afraid of Hero.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 06:36 PM

No I agree with you, but I don't fold I raise and go broke and cuss the poker gods if I am beat. I do however think cold calling is better than folding. The case for cold calling is that you have positon, and you have given UTG notice that you have a hand, so he should think twice about betting. If he does fire a large bet,you then may have to consider folding, but you have more information at this point.

My main reasoning is that UTG may call BB with any pair, but will slow down with anything less than a set on the turn after your cold call. If he fires at the turn he either has big balls or a set. If he checks the turn, I probably still check behind the turn. Call most river bets, if he checks turn and river I make a value bet on river.

I need to read post better, now that I see that we are out of postion I would either reraise flop or call flop and lead turn. Basically I am not good enough to get away from this.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's an ugly spot on the turn, and I don't have any real standard play here, which is why I just put it in on the flop instead. I'd only call flop if I had some sort of a plan for the turn since I'm first to act, and then I'd need a decent read on UTG, which we have nearly zero. However, I think you're giving too much credit to coldcalls from unknowns, alot of fish coldcall with a wide range of hands in these kinds of situations
Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The case for cold calling is that you have positon

[/ QUOTE ]

sb never has position man
Old 12-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the education, I have already edited my post.