Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: I\'m moving down (LC)

Why do you care that people care.

Variance is a hard thing to deal with, and it makes people tilt. Knowing other experience similair downswings helps.

Also, there is no variance measure stickied for NL. I know what constitutes a big downswing for limit or SnGs, but not NL. At my low point I was down 6 buy-ins my first week after quiting my job and going pro. That isn't easy to swallow. If I didn't realize it wasn't so uncommon it would have really got to me.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:04 AM

If you went pro without a clear idea of what sorts of swings to expect, you made an egregious error. There is no content in this thread pertaining to the forum; its just an excuse for people to complain about how bad they've run. I expect better from mid-stakes players.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 PM

He put LC in the title. What is the big deal if he wants to posts this on the board the that he is comfortable with . No need to be so anal.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread sucks; you guys know there's a bad beat/variance forum now, right?

Seriously, move down, move up, do whatever the [censored] you want. Its your money and your game, why does this board care?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind this stuff being posted. It keeps things in perspective for me. Strategy posts argue long and hard about tiny EV decisions but those are made completely irrelevent by one tilt session or time spent playing the wrong limit (too high or too low). I'm wondering if these issues are what the game is really about.

Run of the mill variance posts don't have much value but the moving limits stuff can be. Anyway, I think it's useful for posters to have some general threads to say any random stuff that they need to be say.

James
Old 12-09-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Variance is a hard thing to deal with, and it makes people tilt. Knowing other experience similair downswings helps.

Also, there is no variance measure stickied for NL. I know what constitutes a big downswing for limit or SnGs, but not NL. At my low point I was down 6 buy-ins my first week after quiting my job and going pro. That isn't easy to swallow. If I didn't realize it wasn't so uncommon it would have really got to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have gone through similar swings in 200 in begining. i found out that your post game is the cause of 95% of all this. playing KJ/AJ/SUITED connectors/1 gappers are the other 5%. my advice is to play with a bigger bankroll. u said u lost 10 buyins and then moved down. so u had about 18 buyins in 200nl to start with. all though thats technically fine. i suggest you play with a 50buyin + bankroll. you can play much more comfortably and optimally. thinking about the money sucks. also when i run bad in a game i switch to something else. then when i come back i find that i got much better. i personally switch between sngs/cash. i first reached 100nl in cash then switch to sngs and reached 55's then i went back to cash and reached 400nl, now im back in sngs hoping to reach the 215's. peeeeeez. bigger roll = more confidence.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:44 PM

Well, I didn't lose 10 buy ins, or move down. THink you're referring to OP.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:46 PM

I went pro with what was considerd an approriate bankroll for the level. I've been playing the game for months, but this is the first time I lost 6 buy ins. It probably wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't the very first week I went pro, we'd all like to start on an upswing.

And as another person pointed out, if you have time to troll around thier thread then it really can't be bothering you too much.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If you feel bad and need to hear about other people's downswings or something, you can read the beats, brags and variance forum. This thread does suck/is misplaced, really.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 PM

GL. It sucks. I know. I'm there right now too.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 PM

I don't mind this thread, especially since this forum is new, and makes others familiar with what people are going through.

I am surprised at the number of 200nl players who are going pro.