Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-02-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Live $2/5 game

I wasn't in this hand, but there was some discussion afterwards on what the correct play was.

10 players
UTG+1 (very tight player)stack size = $200 opens for $30

Button has short stack of $75 pushes (very bad player who would do this with a wide range of hands including a lesser ace, KQ,pp, etc).

BB who has both players covered pushes over the top all in. He is a very agressive player, who doesn't mind gambling a bit.

UTG+1 has AKs, do you make the $170 call?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Live $2/5 game

I might have called but I believe a fold is correct.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 PM

easy fold
Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 AM

It seems to me that this is closer than you guys think. It's possible that the very aggro player has AK, QQ, JJ. And the shortstack could have any Ax, KQ, etc or a low pocket pair. However, if he does hold Ax or Kx (where x is probably >10) then this obviously takes away from your outs against aggro player's pocket pair. This is what makes the play -EV. But if you know both players have pp's less than KK then I think I'd call.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 AM

I dunno, BB's iso bet makes it look like he doesn't want any action so he can take the SB with either a high card 6:4 edge or flip, wouldn't BB just call with AA in case someone else wanted to come along?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 PM

I think UTG+1 should have called here is my logic:

My read:
Button: Ace/Face, PP, K/Face suited
BB: Pretty confident AK, QQ through 22. Most likely PP. Outside chance at Kings, almost no chance he has Aces (he would have smooth called). If I had to bet probably middle pair.

UTG is playing almost 2/3 of the pot against the BB, who I am pretty sure he is in a coin flip against minus the outs of mine the button has. The BB puts the weak button on a big Ace, and wants to isolate him, and he is willing to gamble that the tight UTG player will laydown most hands, some of which are beating the BB. (From BB perespective I would guess he puts him on AA-10-10, AK or AQ,and he thinks he will laydown QQ-1010, AK, and AQ).
UTG is beating the Buttons range of hands.