Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 AM

Default I\'m an IDIOT! Had top set and blew it

I had FPS bad.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($156.40)
CO ($100)
Button ($237.70)
SB ($215.10)
BB ($70.87)
Hero ($121.35)
UTG+1 ($98.60)
MP1 ($6.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($16.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($16.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG+1 calls $5, CO calls $5, BB calls $5.

River: ($36.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $34</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $34, BB folds.

Final Pot: $104.50

CO had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for a straight and I learned an apparently much needed lesson on not being clever.

I doubt anybody reading this is as stoooopid as yours truly, but if anybody out there is thinking to maybe get cute with their monsters, think of me and bet the pot!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: I\'m an IDIOT! Had top set and blew it

holy freakin crap

there can be a case made for not betting the flop ......if it was heads up against an very aggressive maniac

barring that, why the heck did you bet so little on the turn, flush draw, straight draws, again, multi-way pot

also it looks really weird and exactly like a slowplay (or any monster in general, for example, AQ in this hand) if you spring to life on later streets

plus betting the flop = bigger pot for later streets = your later bets will be bigger

argh

maybe even lead weak on flop, like for 10

argh

ugh

yuck
Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 AM

Turn bet needs to be bigger... there are a number of hands which like that T... QJ, Ax [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J9s or 79s, etc. Giving several opponents 4-1 or better in a hand where they do have excellent implied odds from you is not a good way to play poker. Most of the time you're going to pick the pot up of course. I would bet like $12-14.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 AM

Learn and move on. I think we've all done it, or gone through that stage where we thought it would be better to 'slowplay' top set. Unfortunetly if you're not gonna get action early, you're likely not to get action until you're out turned or rivered. So just play them straight up. Bet. Raise.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:10 AM

This is a valuable lesson. I sometimes make this mistake when it seems that my sets aren't getting any money. Then I do this and wish I could go back to the old days when my set picked up the money in the pot on the flop.

Bet flop. If he has a piece, he will call, if he doesn't, you're only going to contest a big pot if he draws out on you, and if he does that, he probably has you beat.