Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: An Irieguy post I\'d like to hear more about (Blind play Lvs. 4-6

At least once a day while reading 2+2 I am very happy I don't have epilepsy or any other problem with flashing stuff. Thanks Jeff for reminding me of this pretty early today...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: An Irieguy post I\'d like to hear more about (Blind play Lvs. 4-6)

Blind play is possibly the most important part of STT play. It is possible to play from the SB/BB for a profit in this (STT) format of poker (which is not really possible in any other) and if one can do that, it's pretty much impossible to be a losing player.

Once the blinds become significant, you have to forfeit a significant portion of your stack every time you involuntarily post them. Being able to defend them optimally is very hard but of the utmost importance and, of course, is very contextual. Thankfully, there is a big bag of tricks one can use to help in this task. Unfortunately they involve reading the table well and being able to play 'real' poker, [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. In the higher buyin levels great blind play is pretty much imperative to be a significantly winning player.

Yugoslav
Old 08-04-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blind play is possibly the most important part of STT play. It is possible to play from the SB/BB for a profit in this (STT) format of poker (which is not really possible in any other) and if one can do that, it's pretty much impossible to be a losing player.

Once the blinds become significant, you have to forfeit a significant portion of your stack every time you involuntarily post them. Being able to defend them optimally is very hard but of the utmost importance and, of course, is very contextual. Thankfully, there is a big bag of tricks one can use to help in this task. Unfortunately they involve reading the table well and being able to play 'real' poker, [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. In the higher buyin levels great blind play is pretty much imperative to be a significantly winning player.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

My PT stats say i lose money in the blinds overall...but that if you take the amount i posted away...i'm a huge winner.

Is that what you mean by playing them profitably? Or are you saying there are people that are profitable in the blinds AFTER posting them?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:32 PM

He's saying the latter. Otherwise, his comment about this only being possible in SNGs wouldn't make any sense. Everyone plays the blinds profitably if you don't include the blinds posted.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: An Irieguy post I\'d like to hear more about (Blind play Lvs. 4-6)

[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been Drinking?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM

Pretty sure he means profitable after posting them.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is that what you mean by playing them profitably? Or are you saying there are people that are profitable in the blinds AFTER posting them?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people that play the blinds for a profit AFTER posting them in SNGs. It's not possible in ring games (well, maybe if you are a great player and you played tiny limits you could make money in the blinds.)

I would actually be very interested to see the PT stats from the blinds for some of the top high-limit SNGers. But I don't think it'll happen.

Irieguy
Old 08-04-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure he means profitable after posting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

Sorry for the confusion. No I'm not drunk but since someone else is seemingly picking up the tab at the Ritz today ([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) perhaps I will be in just a little bit.

Yugoslav
Old 08-04-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are people that play the blinds for a profit AFTER posting them in SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume we're talking about chip profit here, but I think it would be really interesting if somebody looked at the average ICM gain that players made in their blinds, though this is probably way too complicated a thing to give consistent answers.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's saying the latter. Otherwise, his comment about this only being possible in SNGs wouldn't make any sense. Everyone plays the blinds profitably if you don't include the blinds posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not fair to just look at the profit after you play either. Any decent player (and even many bad players) will show a profit after the blinds are posted due to the fact that you get to see a flop free or cheaply so often. So just because you're a huge winner after posting the blinds doesn't mean you're playing them well.