Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM

Default AQ UTG

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t1510)
MP1 (t2840)
MP2 (t5947)
CO (t465)
Button (t1115)
SB (t1330)
BB (t3235)
Hero (t3813)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t650) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB calls t300.

Turn: (t1250) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2635</font>, Hero calls t2035.

River: (t6520) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t6520

As I'm posting this, it seems like a relatively straight forwarded hand, and one that I probably should have been able to get away from, but at the time I just couldn't... I felt like he plays AK or a set slower because the board is pretty safe, and I find it hard to believe that he called an UTG raise out of position with something like A4,A8,K4,K8 (and definitely not 84).

FWIW, I don't have any specific read on the player, as I haven't really been involved in any big hands with him, and I haven't been paying attention to the table when not involved in a hand as much as I should... but I haven't seen anything too out of line from him.

Also FWIW, this is one of the stars $20+2 180 person SNGs.

Obviously I wouldn't be posting this hand if I won.... so, is the villan's hand obvious to everyone but me? And/or how can I get away from this in the future?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: AQ UTG

PAY THE MAN!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PAY THE MAN!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, just to be clear, are you emphasizing what a donkey I am, or are you saying you'd pay off his hand here too?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:52 PM

PAY HIM OFF!!! PAY HIM OFFF!!! YAHTZEE!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM

I would bet more on the turn, but other than that, without a read, I have no problem with the hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:39 AM

A bunch of variables to account for when making this call. It depends what stage of the tournement this is at. For example, if this is before the first break, solid players (you say he hadnt done anything out of line) generally wont jepordize their entire stack without figuring they are the best and since you raised UTG and bet the flop and turn with the Ace up, he could safely put you on ACE/FACE and if he picks up a better hand then that, then he knows you will call an overbet. For example, 44(even as bad as A8s) is a callable hand out of the BB for somepeople. Therefore, when he comes over the top on the turn, there isnt alot can beat in my mind. However, if this is further into the tournement, he may call you with any ace and push when one flops. Another variable to account for in addition to the stage of the tourney is the size of their stack. if you have them covered- would it be worth it for them to bluff at a pot when you have showed strength from UTG with an Ace up? Unlikely. This post is starting to get too long so all i have to say is, avoid getting tangled up in marginal situations in the first stage of the tourney, and a players stack is a good indication of how they will play certain cards/flops.