Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Too Much or Just Right?

30-60 online. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the cutoff. Three limpers, I limp (I know a raise is another option here) others behind fold, blinds come. 6 to the flop of 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Check to first limper who bets, next limper raises, I make it 90 to go. Folded back to the initial flop bettor who calls two cold, the middle guy caps and we both call. Three to the turn of J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. First limper checks, next bets, I raise planning to not put another cent into this pot. Now the first limper coldcalls and the turn bettor folds. The river is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Villian checks, I change my mind and bet (modicum of value?). Knowing little about him beyond that he hasn't been too out of line in the last few hours, would you check or bet this river? Would you play the turn the same typically?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Too Much or Just Right?

i would all streets the same as you... nh.
the river is one of those spots where im not sure youre getting called too often, but youre still a fav to win when he does call... hell rarely have A9 beat here.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:24 PM

i play every street the same except the river.. sometimes i bet it, sometimes i dont... it depends on what you put the first guy on? is he bad enough to call down with all that action w/ some raggedy 9? he most likely has a flush draw that missed.. the question is if he'll call the river bet if he picked up a pair w/ that draw. i probably end up betting the river, but if called, expect to see xcJc some of the time.

i also shold mention i bet here because making these free showdown plays often encourages ppl to threebet turns against you...

I really prefer the preflop raise in this spot. A7s and maybe I just call preflop.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 PM

ah, very good point
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

yeah, he's either got a set or a big 9, and it's rarely a set when he didn't make it 3 bets. no reason to think he has two pair. he might also have a 3 + flush draw and gambooling. but definitely a value bet on the river.

also, I don't think limping preflop should be an option. that is a must-raise from the cutoff. position is just so so important in party's mid limit games
Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 PM

Default RESULTS

Villian called the river and showed 22 for a flopped set. Thanks for comments and more welcome.

Jeff
Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Villian called the river and showed 22 for a flopped set. Thanks for comments and more welcome.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
You bet the river based on your read that your opponent either has a busted draw, a badly played nine, or missed his draw but picked up a pair and may call. I like your thought process but the only problem with this line of thinking is that although I thought you played your hand very well, to many "average" poker players when you 3 bet the flop and raise the turn youre gonna have a lot more than one pair, and thus these type of players will check many strong hands on the river out of fear of a better hand. Which is why I like checking behind here against most opponents. I would bet the river against very weak opponents that will call here with any pair without regards to the action of the hand.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 PM

I do not think you get called here by worse than a Jack (if he happened to hit it while going for his flush. I really cant think of any hand that he could have (and survive all that pressure with) that can call you that you have beat.

I think a check is the correct play.