Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Is it possible for me to play on the 4 hr bus ride to New York?

Is there such a thing as remote internet access that I can use on my laptop from anywhere? If so, is the connection choppy like a cell phone? Does this thing exist?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Is it possible for me to play on the 4 hr bus ride to New York?

1) You need a verizon wireless card for your laptop. 100-200 dollars for the card. 60-80 dollars/month for the service.
OR
2) If your cell phone has a data port, get a mobile offce kit. (Data cable, Software[CD]) This is mush slower than the card & will count towards your minutes on your plan during peak hours.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:57 AM

It does exist but I'm too stupid to explain so I'll let someone else handle that. I think you can get a decent connection considering it's in the areas of New york.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 AM

The problem with using a cell phone is that the data mode will not work when you are roaming (at least this is how it works with Sprint). He will probably be roaming for some of the bus ride.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 AM

my brother takes a bus fron boston to ny and it has wireless internet on it. the connection is great and he often adds that people are playing online poker while on the bus.

It's called a "luxury bus" but it's not like very expensive or anything.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM

LimoLiner... $69 one way... interesting...
Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with using a cell phone is that the data mode will not work when you are roaming (at least this is how it works with Sprint). He will probably be roaming for some of the bus ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done 100 mile trips with the cell before with no problems. I do have Verizon though. I do not have nationwide unlimited plan or anything like that, so I was roaming. I noticed that if I initiated the connection near my house, and played for a few hours (150 miles or so), I didn't get roaming charges. This was over a year ago so it may have changed.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:13 AM

I imagine the verizon wireless internet card would be very choppy, as I have verizon wireless cellular and when talking on that bus ride I get disconnected very often. Can anyone who's used this vouch for the reliability? Is it the same, worse, or better than your typical cell phone connection?

LimoLiner is pimp but it's only from Boston to NY. I've looked around a bit and can't find a bus service that offers the same from Washington DC to NY.

Anyone know of any bus or transportation service from DC to NY which offers an internet connection?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine the verizon wireless internet card would be very choppy, as I have verizon wireless cellular and when talking on that bus ride I get disconnected very often. Can anyone who's used this vouch for the reliability? Is it the same, worse, or better than your typical cell phone connection?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that the laptop card is way better. I've also noticed that on long trips, the closer to a major highway you stay, the better your luck with disconnections. I have had diconnection trouble before, but it's never lasted more than 10 min. ( NY, Penn, Canada area)
Old 10-07-2005, 04:58 PM

I got the Verizon wireless card about a month ago and it works great (after initially having many headaches because I had a defective card).
I haven't traveled with it yet though.

Tdarko travels a lot and has a Cingular card.
He says that his connection for playing online-poker while travelling is fine unless he's going through some middle-of-nowhere backwoods area.

As long as you near a highway in a major area you should be getting the digital-cellular signal so there shouldn't be roaming.

There is so much cell-traffic in the densely populated areas of the northeast though that I wonder if that makes a difference.

With the verizon card:
In the major cities you are getting broadband access.

In the smaller/medium-sized cities and on the highways for much of the U.S. you are getting 'national access' which is digital-cellular and is typically about 2x the speed of dial-up line (which is PLENTY for online-poker).

In the middle-of-nowhere USA you are either roaming or not getting a signal at all.