Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: AQo in EP turn play???

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, I'm ahead often enough on this flop that I want to bet and get as many people as I can to fold. There are 10 bets in the pot, after all.

Do you think we're trailing often enough to check and fold, or are you hoping the flop gets checked around?

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter sentence is why I admitted above that I thought checking was wrong. Check-fold is throwing away money. Checked around would be OK, but like you said, you're ahead too much of the time to let that happen and when you are ahead with just overcards, you want to clear any hands out that you can.

Yet I think I've been checking this flop in similar situations.

PS - is that 30% number via pokerstove?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS - is that 30% number via pokerstove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. (And it was actually closer to 31.5%. Random hands though, although in the hand in question I'm not so sure that's not what everyone has anyway.)

Remember that this is a hard board to hit; something that we like when playing overcards.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 PM

think the discussion was good here. i would bet thtat flop also. not sure where all the check fold flop talk came from unless just scared about extra callers. be agressive. probably bet turn and definately bet river and then fold to a raise. not being raised on turn makes me think i might be ahead still. nice impute cold cash.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:07 PM

This is an interesting thread because I've been struggling with flops like this lately.

I think slowplayed trips is a disease that is all over microlimits. Sometimes it is because there's a passive player who thinks his kicker stinks. More often, you've got players thinking they're being tricky.

I bet out this flop, but after I get two callers, I'm at a loss. Because one benefit of betting on the flop -- getting information -- is messed up by slowplay-trips-disease.

My hunch is that if I get raised on the flop here, you're seeing overcards or an overpair or even bottom pair top kicker more often than a ten.

More than half time time, players with a T are just going to call the flop on this hand. They've got a pre-flop raiser doing the betting for them.

I'm ready to absorb any/all advice on playing these boards in a variety of situations as long as the poster doesn't assume the table is filled with 7 LPPs and a VP$IP of 45% -- because that's increasingly unrealistic.

===========

So my question on this hand with position altered:

You are on the button with the same AQ, having raised pre-flop with two limp/callers. Now flop comes as shown by OP -- TT4

What do you do if: on the flop, a "typical" player (27/3 w/ 1.0 Agg) bets into you.

What do you do if: on the flop, an eagle-type player (15/4 w/1.4 Agg) bets into you

What do you do if: on the flop, a loose "take charge of the betting" player (40/12 w/2.2 Agg) bets into you?

What do you do if: A TAG (17/8 w/2.2 Agg) bets into you?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Wow, you been digging.

[ QUOTE ]

So my question on this hand with position altered:

You are on the button with the same AQ, having raised pre-flop with two limp/callers. Now flop comes as shown by OP -- TT4

What do you do if: on the flop, a "typical" player (27/3 w/ 1.0 Agg) bets into you.

What do you do if: on the flop, an eagle-type player (15/4 w/1.4 Agg) bets into you

What do you do if: on the flop, a loose "take charge of the betting" player (40/12 w/2.2 Agg) bets into you?

What do you do if: A TAG (17/8 w/2.2 Agg) bets into you?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK this makes it a little easier to play in position. My first thought when I am donk bet on a flop like this is the 4 in this case or another pocket pair. I rarely see someone with trips firing into a preflop raiser on the button.

So....
A typical party donk, I'd raise thinking I had overs to his 4 and he's trying to pick up the pot.

Eagle, I think that screams pocket pair. If he is a true eagle paying attention to position and where raises come from, I think 66-99 would take a shot at this. I might still raise and see where it leads me. I wouldn't fold just yet.

"take charge of the betting" player I might just call down UI. I don't see too many of these type players limping, but I wouldn't give them much credit.

TAG I would call flop and fold turn UI.

Most of these are situational of course, but that's my best effort. I'd like to see yours and others answers to these.

Thanks for digging this post up.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 PM

grunching...

Your opponents are both loose and don't have your calling standards. Their first call, and the texture of the flop should not discourage you from betting again. Even though your opponents might have picked up a draw, you are likely to have the best hand and should bet it for value. Unless you are against a set, or AK, you are unlikely to be in very bad shape. You might have as much as 9 outs against an underpair, and you still have 5 outs vs A9.

If you get raised you will have to fold since your opponents' passivity will imply that you are behind, and will be likely drawing dead.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 PM

About the worst river card. All the overcard hands (AJ,KQ, KJ,QJ) are now beating us. I don't think a loose opponent can be bluffed out very often in this spot. Also, since our opponent is passive, he is not so likely to try to bluff this river, so if he has a weak A, he might check it down. So I would CHECK/FOLD.