Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:37 AM

Default KQo vs LAG, I turn top pair and checkraise

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

MP1 is loose-aggressive. He cold calls too much, and he seems to check/raise his good hands on the later streets.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...standard, or just bet?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: KQo vs LAG, I turn top pair and checkraise

well played. Lags will pretty much bet all of there holdings here so you don't need to worry about the turn being checked through.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:00 AM

...MP1 calls, BB calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Old 09-14-2005, 02:16 AM

Why bet into the LAG on the flop with a hand that has missed you.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 04:02 AM

Taking the flop action and the board into account, I'm thinking you can probably count on a LAG to bet the turn with a worse hand more than you can count on him to raise with a worse hand. So I think I like the turn checkraise.

Unless 2/4 LAGs have recently stopped betting again on the turn with a draw instead of taking the free card, I don't think you have to worry too much about the turn getting checked through. Chances are at least one bet is going in, whether you put in that first turn bet or not.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...MP1 calls, BB calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks good to me. I wouldn't want to pass up a river value bet after my turn checkraise. And I also wouldn't want to fold TPGK, getting 15:1, just because a LAG raised the river.

Edit: I'm not happy about the river raise, though, and I am expecting to lose.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
standard continuation bet, no?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 AM

i like it. but you should be careful you're still getting some value from continuation bets against this opponent in spots where you miss the flop
Old 09-14-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
standard continuation bet, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
Using this term in limit poker is incorrect. A continuation bet occurs in a no-limit game after you've raised the flop and are now first-to-act. Your continuation bet can be sized in relation to the pot to give your opponent incorrect odds to call (usually around 3-to-1). This is never going to happen in limit because the size of the bet is static (usually in limit the opponent(s) is going to be getting 5-to-1 or more). Leading a missed flop in limit hold'em after raising PF is often the correct play - but it's incorrect to term it a "continuation bet".

In this hand - I'm not sure what OP expected to gain from leading the flop. A bet here isn't going to have much FE against a LAG. I think the better play is to check/call. Showing a little weakness on the flop will give you a lot of good options on the turn if Hero hits.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

pf-raise
flop-c/c
turn-c/r
river-b/c

and crunchy is correct on the continuation bet thing.