Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Default quitting while ahead or getting better with big stack

I've been playing Hold'em for a couple of months and no limit for a very short period of time. In NL I play the Party $25 tables.

My problem is that the last couple of days (the first where I've strictly played NL) I have frequently tripled my $25 or more, but then once I get up to that $75 or even up to $125 I tend to flatline and eventually bleed/gush/guillotine it away. I believe the reason for this is that I'm a bad but not terrible player. I tend to double up when the terrible players make a ridiculous call or when I am able to make money off the good players by hitting a set or something huge and disguised. Then however my bad play catches up and I either make bad calls or other serious mistake (I got burned once when I ridiculously slowplayed trip tens and someone turned a bot when a queen turned and he had a pocket pair).

My question is if in this case it is a good move to leave the table to keep my money when I get over, say $100. I know normally it is thought to be a bad move, but in my case I'm not sure. I think that if I paid for making mistakes when I have the $25 then that's the most I lose. When I lose $100 that is a very expensive lesson. If it matters, I would guess I make it to $50 before losing the 25 about 3 out of 4 times.

Is there any general advice people can give me regarding playing with the big stack?

Thanks in advance.

Jared
Old 02-19-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: quitting while ahead or getting better with big stack

Make your humility work for you in this case. I see sooo many Party players who are pretty awful get up huge and then lose it all back in a hurry. With so many games on that site, just switch to a different table and cash out the profits. Do this until you are more comfortable with your skills and abilities. That way you will not have so much at risk during a hand and it sounds like you get too loose when you go up alot, so switching tables will solve that problem. Bc there is nothing more I/other players love than a fish with alot of money.
Good luck!
FsuPlayer
Old 02-19-2004, 04:57 PM

Nothing wrong with getting up and sitting at another table with the 25 again, if for whatever reason you don't play so well with a big stack against the other big stacks.

You do see a lot of poor loose players rack up big no's, but you just know it's coming back onto the table when they stay. I'm always rooting for the loose guy when a pot comes down vs another tight player, of course.

I kinda like having the big stack (at my fave game PLO, anyway); it's easier to get involved and 'mop up' the small guys when you do hit nicely.

Have you inspected to see if you've altered your play too much after increasing your stack? It can become tempting to play looser; you may be doing so without even realising at the table.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:14 PM

I have to say I find myself having the same problem, mostly when it comes to protecting big pairs or hands where I have no problem going in with small stack but playing with big stack can be a problem. I am remedying this by playing sometimes big stacks, but depending on table situation (if everyone has tightened up considerably) then I will leave and just sit down again with $25. I realize though that it can be nice having the big stack cause then when you double up it's a huge double (you can maximize profits when you hit a big hand).
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 PM

Quitting when I had a big stack was quite good today, I made around 140 from my low today, about 60 overall which for me is a great day.

I'm not sure quite how my game changes with a big stack. I have Poker Tracker and I will look at my hands tonight to see if I notice something. I played a few orbits with big stacks today and I did get more comfortable toward the end.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:52 PM

jdl-

Great question, and something I've been thinking about as well. I'd say I'm more comfortable with the small stacks, and initially I'd start to play scared after getting up to 3 or 4x the buy-in. I know scared play isn't the best for my bottom line, so I have left good tables before so I could rathole the cash.

On the other hand, once you learn to play those loose tables with a big stack they will be the most profitable, so I wouldn't give up playing them. I know that I'm more comfortable with a big stack than I was a few weeks ago, and I've been able to drag some big pots because of it. Maybe cash out the next couple of times you are up big to get some positive momentum, and then stay in the 3rd time, being extra careful not to get too loose with that extra cash in front of you. And, like others have said, use pokertracker/post hands/etc. to try to identify holes in your deep money game.

best of luck,

-muz
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 PM

Do some of both. That is, sometimes go ahead and salt away your winnings. That will make you feel good, and make up for the times when you make a big stack and then lose it. But of course you need to practise with big stacks to get better at them. So do a bit of both.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:03 PM

I've no bones about standing up and quickly sitting back down again if I can, if I like the table but want to stash the profits.... Online, I don't see any reason to be anything other than ruthless when it comes to 'currency security'.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Looking at Poker Tracker the leak became clear - I apparently love to call preflop raises with speculitive hands like Kxs. I do this too much shortstacked but with a bigger stack I do it waaaaaaayyyy too often and it is more costly the more chips you have.

I going with the suggestions you guys mentioned of sometimes leaving the table and sometimes sticking it out. Most the time I will probably leave if I have quadrupled my initial buy in.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:14 PM

I would think your first priority would be to fix your leaks. Getting up and cashing out is all fine and good, but the sooner you get your game in order, the more money you will be able to make. You'll be able to hang out and dominate a game (if you get a big stack) and really make some money.