Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2005, 05:16 AM

Default TPTK, controlling the pot size question

I致e been trying a new move lately after reading so much on these forums about controlling pot size, especially with a vulnerable hand like an over pair or TPTK. I知 not completely comfortable with this type of play because my instincts are always to push hard when I think I知 ahead, so please let me know what you think.

Party/Empire $100NL with $1 BB

Hero has $88 and Villain has me slightly covered. Not much of a read on Villain, but seems to be OK but not great.

MP calls and folded to Hero in CO with As-Qc who makes it $5 to go. Villain in SB calls, BB calls, and MP limper calls.

($20) Flop: Qd 9d 3h

Villain bets out $3, fold, fold, Hero raise to $20 and Villain calls.

I知 thinking he is either on a diamond draw or has me crushed with a set and is hoping to get raised with the smallish $3 bet. I知 thinking to myself, keep in mind the 2+2 forums ideas of keeping the pot small with this hand. So I raise to 20 to make sure I don稚 let the draw hit for cheap.

($60) Turn: Qd 9d 3 h 9s

Villain checks. I figure the 9s is harmless since you wouldn稚 think he calls 20 on the flop with second pair. If I bet here I知 thinking I have to bet 30 which pretty much commits my stack to this hand, since I have something like 60 left. Again, I知 thinking I知 either crushed by a set or way away of his weaker Q. I decide to check behind in an effort to control the pot and figuring I can probably then call something in the range of 20-35 on the river assuming no diamond or K.. Right move?

(60) River: Qd 9d 3h 9s 2c

Villain checks. At this point, I知 sure I have the best hand, because if he was going for the check raise on the turn there痴 no way he checks the river after I checked behind him on the turn. My gut is telling me he has K-Q, since he called the 20 on the flop OOP. I decide to value bet the river for 20 pretty sure he値l either fold or call with the second best hand, especially since I showed weakness on the turn. Right move?

Again, I知 trying to keep the pot small and not commit my whole stack to this hand. I also feel like there have been a lot of times when I thought I had the best hand in position and continued my bet on the turn only to get check raised and have to fold because I didn稚 want to commit my whole stack容ven though plenty of times I think the other guy is bluffing. So I guess I知 thinking of this as a general new play for me in similar situations. By controlling the pot, I can call a moderate size river bet which is basically how much I would have put in on the turn anyway, but this way I actually get to the showdown. Of course, I知 risking him hitting the river too, but I also induce river bluffs plenty of times too. This is also a play I would only do in position, I think. Please let me know what you think.

I値l post the results in a little bit.