Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:16 AM

Default 10-20 hand from today

Just got back from a good, long, exhausting session spanning two days where I observed/took part in a few interesting hands. Here's one against fellow poster Gamblor that I think I screwed up on:

Live 10-20 nl. Game is very loose aggressive pre-flop and tricky aggressive post flop. UTG with about 3k behind opens for 50, meaning he was dealt two cards. Thinking LAG with 5k behind calls, tricky thinking player with 3k behind calls, Gamblor calls with about 2800 behind, I call with 44 and about 2700 behind, big blind calls with about 4k behind.

Flop is 46J rainbow. Checked to Gamblor who bets 150. I call, the big blind calls, the pre-flop raiser calls, the 5k stack calls.

The turn is another J and completes the rainbow. Checked to Gamblor who bets 250, I raise to 1250.

Thoughts so far?

-Diplomat
Old 07-04-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: 10-20 hand from today

I feel like your turn raise is too big. You want a jack to call here, I'd probably make it $800 despite all the other callers....
Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 AM

Why is it so big? Look at the stack sizes and amount in the pot. 1250 is about a pot size bet. Someone with a jack will prob play back at you there. IF no one has the jack you werent going to get action anyway. His object there is to build the pot. I think its a good bet.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:18 AM

Looks like the only realistic hand beating you right now is 66, and it also looks like you can get some value from a Jack. I'm going to agree with AZK here and raise anywhere from 800-1K. At least if you raise to 800 you will get action from a jack.

Don't worry about losing to 66, your stack is too short IMO.

Edit: Could also be losing to JJ, as the board has no draws.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:17 AM

Do you have position on Gamblor or not?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:10 PM

Yes, I am in the CO.

-Diplomat
Old 07-04-2005, 03:39 PM

I would recommend a triple sized bet of 750. There are no draws out there so this bet could represent a bare jack. If Gamblor does have a jack it would be hard for him to get away from it.

The large bet nullifies your positional advantage because no more big decisions are going to be made on the river. If you bet 750, and Gamblor does indeed have a jack, you can put him to the test on the river if he just calls. If Gamblor has AJ he may even reraise you all in, to either double up on a worse jack or avoid a chopped pot.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:17 PM

also to be considered is that gamblor and diplomat are well aware that if one person runs out of money on the trip he will be more likely to want to leave sooner in the evening, thus taking the other out of the game earlier.

Also, I had about 3500 behind on the turn, not 2350.

so, while they certainly don't intend to softplay each other, gamblor is aware that there is a reasonable (but not certain) chance that diplomat won't run a big bluff on him (and vice versa).
Old 07-04-2005, 07:07 PM

...not to mention that I might have to catch a bus instead of getting a ride from you to get back to Toronto if I bust you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

For some reason I thought you had less than 3k, not a full 4k, to start the hand. Bills are annoying.

-Diplomat
Old 07-04-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The large bet nullifies your positional advantage because no more big decisions are going to be made on the river. If you bet 750, and Gamblor does indeed have a jack, you can put him to the test on the river if he just calls. If Gamblor has AJ he may even reraise you all in, to either double up on a worse jack or avoid a chopped pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more or less the summary of our analysis after the hand, but even then 750 may be too much.

-Diplomat