Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you take?
Owens 31 46.97%
Moss 35 53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: AQ Preflop Versus Coldcallers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whoever said fold should be banned.

It's close between call and raise. I think I call at a loose table. If the rest the table was tight, I'd raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say folding is a lot better than raising. raising an UTG raise with 2 cold callers seems supremely stupid to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol keep on foldng then.

This forum is just hilarious.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry.
I don't speak troll, Lansing.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you realize you're just giving it what it wants? the immaturity of some people here amazes me. JUST IGNORE IT. it feeds off attention
Old 02-27-2005, 11:21 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whoever said fold should be banned.

It's close between call and raise. I think I call at a loose table. If the rest the table was tight, I'd raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say folding is a lot better than raising. raising an UTG raise with 2 cold callers seems supremely stupid to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol keep on foldng then.

This forum is just hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ed or Clark came here and said to raise. they are equity and position whores, and you have plenty of both. so I don't know how strongly I feel about that. my first reaction was that folding seems dumb but raising seems a lot dumber

and I didn't say I'd fold. I just said I wouldn't raise. I think folding is dumb too. there's no way you should be mucking AQo with position and cold callers
Old 02-27-2005, 11:51 AM

My vote was to fold. I do not want to play AQo in a raised pot with 4 total players. I would call if I thought 1 or 2 might follow me into the pot. Even if the button comes in I can still see what every one else does before I act on the flop.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM

Folding seems really bad here. The UTG raiser does not need to have much, and you will have a typical cold caller beaten quite bad.

I'd raise to

i) Push my pot equity advantage
ii) Buy the button
iii) Cut down on the blinds odds.
iv) Quite possibly buy a free card on either the flop or turn, as I desire.
v) If UTG is fairly straightforward, this gives me more information on the strength of his hand.

I rank the choices

i) Raise
ii) Call
iii) Fold
Old 02-27-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i) Push my pot equity advantage

[/ QUOTE ]

your equity against a standard UTG raise of AA-JJ, AK, AQ, and sometimes TT or AJ, and 2 weak cold callers is still minimal. plus the times you're destroyed by AA-QQ and AK, you're paying 4 bets with a purely high card hand completely crushed)

[ QUOTE ]

ii) Buy the button

[/ QUOTE ]

having to already face 2 bets, this isn't as much of a concern as usual

[ QUOTE ]

iii) Cut down on the blinds odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

true

[ QUOTE ]

iv) Quite possibly buy a free card on either the flop or turn, as I desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

in a 15 bet pot, (1) it probably won't get checked in you, and (2) shouldn't check if it's checked to you

[ QUOTE ]

v) If UTG is fairly straightforward, this gives me more information on the strength of his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if you end up in a 5-way capped pot, he can give you all the information he wants, and you'll still pay dearly to chase to the river
Old 02-27-2005, 12:11 PM

I think you are putting UTG on too narrow a range.

Also, bear in mind that the cold callers rate to have absolute trash.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are putting UTG on too narrow a range.

Also, bear in mind that the cold callers rate to have absolute trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an almost 13 PFR in full ring games and my UTG raising is AA-99, AK-AJ, KQ, KQs, KJs, and ATs. how does a normal 6-8 PFR player have a range wider than AA-JJ, AK, AQ, and sometimes TT and AJ?

the fact that the cold callers have trashy hands (which you're overstating, because they usually have something with some value, like a small pair, suited connector, suited ace, or A5-AJo), is the only reason I don't think it should be folded
Old 02-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Well you can't just say a 12 PFR raises twice as much UTG as a . Lots of your raises are likely steals from late, isolation plays, value raising limpers with suited connectors etc.

A typical fish will ignore position, and just raise with the same hands anywhere.

Also, I want to get as many bets in preflop as possible against the A5o type cold calling hands.

It would be nice to know what kind of postflop player UTG is, because three betting preflop might well get him to fold JJ/QQ on an Kxx flop, an added boon.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:46 PM

you're being completely biased here. on one hand, you're suggesting that the cold callers are big fish who could have complete trash here and who will pay off with anything. then the UTG raiser is apparently a very loose raiser (and yes, anything looser than AA-TT, AK-AJ is pretty loose), and is capable of laying down QQ or JJ on a Kxx flop.