Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Standard? I decided to raise preflop for a change

Also, should I be worried about getting freerolled flops like this with the flush draw out there?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

UTG ($66.35)
MP ($150.10)
Hero ($76.35)
Button ($69)
SB ($200)
BB ($80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, MP calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $6, MP calls $6.

Flop: ($27) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $25.65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $68.35</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $42.70.

Turn: ($163.70) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($163.70) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $163.70
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Standard? I decided to raise preflop for a change

I would often raise as well with a hand like this in position. As far as your play on the flop, the primary consideration here is your stack size. With a deeper stack like MP then a call would often be best so that you don't forfeit the power of your position and keep the possibility of bluffing if a flush card comes when he checks if you are willing to bluff in that spot. But in this case your small stack (the same situation if the 2 stack sizes were reversed), means that you should just raise allin with top pair and a good draw so that if a flush card makes you a straight you can't be bluffed off the best hand for a small amount of money. On a good day when up against a hand that had a better draw but no pair, two offsuit rags will come allowing you to win with that pair only.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 AM

I don't like the preflop raise with a hand like this and with such a small stack. Small stacks are good for raising aces, deep stacked situations are good for raising draw hands like this one.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 AM

His stack is short compared to others there, but not extremely so. The reasons for raising is for hand deception and often being able to represent a different hand or take a free card on a weak draw from someone waiting to checkraise.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 AM

He's pretty short, less than half the buy in, right?. His implied odds for a deceptive raise are limited by his own stack size. I would rather raise PPs with this stack than with this hand. You are so much more likely to end up all-in on the flop when your raise represents 10% of your stack, and if I am going in on the flop, foregoing my positional advantage, I'd rather do it with a high PP or set than with mostly a pure draw.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:00 PM

My comments assumed good flop play in which you aren't stacking with a weak draw. But that hand can make top 2, a combo hand, or a very strong draw which often will be a surprise to opponents who might only think he has AA. If you can never disguise your hand even as a shorter stack, you won't get paid off as much or get good action with premium draws when you have a big equity advantage. Only with the shortest possible buyin, 20% of the max, would I not consider raising in position here with that hand, along with the table situations that were very wild and where I might get reraised by a LAG holding a junk hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Wel, I think we can agree that he should just buy back in before the button gets to him.

It really puzzles me how many people play short stack PLO. I'd like to see some rationale for that strategy.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM

As shocking as this may seem, I don't like raising with that particular hand. For me to raise with a broadway wrap type hand it almost always has to have JT and a suited ace or be double suited. I'm not saying I wouldn't raise it on the button, but playing this hand in a raised pot in EP is probably not a great idea.