Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Sloooooow Internet

Starting yesterday, our cable internet went from running 300+ kbps to about 10 kbps. The modem is plugged directly into a linksys router, so its not a computer problem, unless we all managed to get the same undetectable virus at the same time. Also, judging by our neighbors, no one is leaching off our connection.

Any ideas what's going on here and how to fix it?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Sloooooow Internet

Is it consistent regardless of the time of day?

Have you checked for virus or spyware running on your own machine?
Old 09-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Assuming you aren't losing bandwidth because a bunch of people being on in your area (cable shares the line, correct?).

May want to try just turning off your modem and router and then turn it back on after 20 or so seconds to see if that improves things.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 PM

If you have roommates on the line or something, sounds like someone is uploading and doesn't know it. Check everyone's comp to see if this is the case and reboot/shutdowna and see if you can isolate the problem. It could also be the site you are downloading from. Try downloading some crap from microsoft or some other large company and see if it's consistent. Linksys routers have sucked for me in the past but would only lag for 20 seconds to 2 minutes at a time (folding my hand) but never slow down like this. Try unplugging the router and plugging your comp in directly to the modem and see if there's a difference.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have roommates on the line or something, sounds like someone is uploading and doesn't know it. Check everyone's comp to see if this is the case and reboot/shutdowna and see if you can isolate the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this might be the problem. At least, it would make the most sense.

[ QUOTE ]
It could also be the site you are downloading from. Try downloading some crap from microsoft or some other large company and see if it's consistent. Linksys routers have sucked for me in the past but would only lag for 20 seconds to 2 minutes at a time (folding my hand) but never slow down like this. Try unplugging the router and plugging your comp in directly to the modem and see if there's a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real problem is, it's not just downloads that are slow. Party network is slow too. Like, slow enough that its almost impossible for me to load a single sng because the seats fill up before the table is able to open.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 AM

Did you pay your bill? I've heard of more than a couple cable/dsl ISPs that will cap you at or near dial-up speeds rather than disconnect you all together if you miss a payment. It's a really mean thing they do to gamers.

Before you call your ISP, turn off your computer, unplug your router, and unplug your modem, in that order. Leave everything off for a few minutes. Then turn things back on in reverse order.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you pay your bill? I've heard of more than a couple cable/dsl ISPs that will cap you at or near dial-up speeds rather than disconnect you all together if you miss a payment. It's a really mean thing they do to gamers.

Before you call your ISP, turn off your computer, unplug your router, and unplug your modem, in that order. Leave everything off for a few minutes. Then turn things back on in reverse order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 99% sure we didn't miss a bill, but I just moved in like 3 weeks ago, so I'm not in charge of any of that stuff. Anyway, the same company does our cable TV, and that's still working just fine. Even the OnDemand stuff.

It's better now, but I'll let you know if anything new develops.