Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Good hands from the blinds?

Protecting overcards, got it. Knowing what hands play well multi, got it. But here's my problem: When I have a good hand in the blinds, let's say AQs, AK, JJ, or TT, what do I do if there are a few limpers? A raise isn't going to chase people out, so I lose that benefit. If there are already three or four limpers, there's a very good chance that if overcards come to my JJ or TT, I no longer have the best hand and am relying on making a set. Is a raise worth it? AQs, I've got the high cards as well as the nut flush possibility. And AK, I've got overcards, but a raise isn't going to kick anyone out preflop that's already put money in.

I know that I should complete/check at least occassionally to disguise the strength of my hand, but what's the standard play and why?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Good hands from the blinds?

Raise them for value.

At loose low limit games, your opponents will often limp in with trash like 96o. Make them pay for that by getting the money from them preflop, since you have the best chance of winning it.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A raise isn't going to chase people out, so I lose that benefit. If there are already three or four limpers, there's a very good chance that if overcards come to my JJ or TT, I no longer have the best hand and am relying on making a set. Is a raise worth it? AQs, I've got the high cards as well as the nut flush possibility. And AK, I've got overcards, but a raise isn't going to kick anyone out preflop that's already put money in.

I know that I should complete/check at least occassionally to disguise the strength of my hand, but what's the standard play and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising for value is usually good for most cases (but it always depends on your opponents). True, you may be very well ahead preflop against these people, so get your money in the pot when you are ahead and make people pay for their trash hands they limped with.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I have a good hand in the blinds, let's say AQs, AK, JJ, or TT, what do I do if there are a few limpers? A raise isn't going to chase people out, so I lose that benefit. If there are already three or four limpers, there's a very good chance that if overcards come to my JJ or TT, I no longer have the best hand and am relying on making a set. Is a raise worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is more to poker than getting people to give you the pot immediately. Learn to bet for value.

It's always tricky to play out of position. Well, play some poker. Don't always assume that someone has top pair just because an overcard comes to your pocket pair, and don't assume someone has a pair whenever you miss with AK or AQ.

Typically, I would raise preflop, and I would bet out on almost any flop. I don't recommend trying to disguise the strength of your hand by completing the small blind or checking. It's too valuable to charge people for limping with weaker hands.