Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Default QQ against maniac on K high board: flop and turn get capped.

villain is a *total* maniac. i saw him bluff cap river with hands like 8 high, and even showdown simalar hands. it is very likely he was completely drunk perhaps, who knows. anyway i was happy to play against him.

his stats over the 230 hands he was kind enough to sit at my table were 84/42/2.7.

looking back at this hand today my aggrssion seems almost absurd, but i must have felt there was value there at the time.

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (16.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (20.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 28.50 BB.

thoughts?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: QQ against maniac on K high board: flop and turn get capped.

With a read like this, then it looks just fine to me. This is much more of a 'feel' play, as we can't really know what the villain is actually like. If you have a read saying he will bluff-cap with 8 high, then you are ahead here far more than you are not. Sometimes they will have a hand, and that's life. It's high variance to play against these guys, but it's extremely profitable when you are running good.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 PM

yeah, pretty much what i thought. i just wanted to hear from other people to confirm that this wasnt spewage.

i only need to be ahead &gt;50% of the time for my bet/raises to have value.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 PM

I like the flop and turn, and river seems reasonable given your read and his range of hands, but I'd probably wuss out and call his raise. Based on that last sentence of yours it sounds like you might've ran into a king, but don't sweat it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:14 PM

actually, he had 64 for the rivered gutshot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

i just wanted to know that others play it the same against these types of opponents, and that i didnt over play it here.

at the time i remeber feeling quite confident i had the best hand the entire way. in a way i was right i guess. it gets to the point where the board has (reasonably) changed neither of our holdings, and since this opponent would just keep on rasing with air anyway im not sure it makes any sense to just call down.

i dont think ive ever capped every street with an underpair ever since this hand, so its not like its a situation that comes up a lot, but its somewhat of a general concept agaisnt these kinds of opponents so i thought id check up on it.