Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: KK w/Ace on flop heads-up

I agree I should have called the river unless I had a perfect read on this player. I thought I had a pretty solid read on him, but definitely not perfect, so he could have been bluffing me.

As for the rest of that thread though, my line looks correct - Simply call down since I'm either way ahead or way behind. I just want to point that out since most responses in this thread mentioned raising this on the flop and you seem to have missed part of Ed's explanation.

Ed Miller:
[ QUOTE ]
1. I think calling is CLEARLY the best play on the flop.

Since this is a "way ahead or way behind" situation, you will also finish with the best hand about that often.

Raising is counter-productive. It tends to slow down a bluffer, and it just causes you to go off for two extra bets against a real hand. Even if you get 3-bet, you can't fold, which brings me to...
2. No folding!

Any of you that included the word "fold" as any part of your answer... raising the turn and folding to a 3-bet... betting and folding to a check-raise, etc., I think you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2004, 05:07 PM

Just read the Ed Miller post. I'm now convinced calling down is the better play.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree I should have called the river unless I had a perfect read on this player. I thought I had a pretty solid read on him, but definitely not perfect, so he could have been bluffing me.

As for the rest of that thread though, my line looks correct - Simply call down since I'm either way ahead or way behind. I just want to point that out since most responses in this thread mentioned raising this on the flop and you seem to have missed part of Ed's explanation.

Ed Miller:
[ QUOTE ]
1. I think calling is CLEARLY the best play on the flop.

Since this is a "way ahead or way behind" situation, you will also finish with the best hand about that often.

Raising is counter-productive. It tends to slow down a bluffer, and it just causes you to go off for two extra bets against a real hand. Even if you get 3-bet, you can't fold, which brings me to...
2. No folding!

Any of you that included the word "fold" as any part of your answer... raising the turn and folding to a 3-bet... betting and folding to a check-raise, etc., I think you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see why now also, consider me educated
Old 09-13-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm still a bit unsure of how I played this hand, river mainly now, but I did manage to find a similar hand posting by Ed Miller. And his response on page 7 of the thread.

QQ hand with K22 flop HU

[/ QUOTE ]

That thread isn't similar at all. With a flop of K22, if your opponent caught any piece of the flop you're behind. If he didn't you're way ahead...there aren't even any draws so he's simply bluffing. If you raise him when he's bluffing it is likely he'll fold, if he's not bluffing you'll lose more money.

If you raise the flop in this case it's pretty likely that your opponent will call with a Q or a 4 so raising is a much more acceptable option here.

edit: oops, thought the flop had a 7 instead of a 4
Old 09-14-2004, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was debating calling on the river, but I'd need to win almost 15% of the time and I just couldn't see it happening. What type of holding do you think my opponent could have that he'd play this way against a preflop raiser that I would beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see, last night in the same basic situation (I raise pf, one caller, ace comes on the flop) I beat 79o (he had pair 7s) and lost to T8s (flush), JJ (pair jacks), 34s (backdoor flush).

I'd call.

Oh, and I'd raise the flop, too.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM

This is probably LLHE 101, but if you are the first to act HU with the same hand.

You bet the flop, he calls
The turn comes a blank - bet again? he calls
River - you check-call?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:46 PM

I like the way you played it. You're either way ahead or way behind as you say. With your line, you get bets from him on every street when you're ahead (rather than folding him through aggression), and pay the minimum the times you're drawing to 2 outs (+BD straight on the flop).

Seems like a classic "win the most, lose the least" type situation. There's very little chance that either of your hands are going to improve by the river. Calling down seems best unless villain will call down himself with any pair or draw.

The Q is about the worst possible card for you. I like the fold.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably LLHE 101, but if you are the first to act HU with the same hand.

You bet the flop, he calls
The turn comes a blank - bet again? he calls
River - you check-call?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this board I would check-call the river if I'm first to act. The Q is just such a bad card for me. If the river was anything else I'd bet.