Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: TiVo without a phone line?

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to do it. Some of the updates have been transparent. But a few months back they did one that substantially speeded up a lot of processes. Looking through the guide, for instance. That use to be slow as hell. Now it's reasonably quick. The other big thing in that release was the addition of folders. It now automatically puts multiple episodes of the same show in a folder in the Now Playing list. Significantly unclutters things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm sold. I'm doing this over the weekend. I do wonder if it will automatically do all of the past updates that I missed. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM

i have a TiVo hooked up wirelessly to my home network.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:13 PM

bobman

how was this accomplished? I also have DirecTV, but no home phone line (cell phones only). I want TIVO, but they tell me it is unpossible without a home phone line.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:18 PM

I don't have a directv tivo, so i don't know if they have special reqs. I purchased a USB -> Wireless adapter, which goes in the Tivo's USB port. That's pretty much all there is to it. Also, when your Tivo is networked, you can move music, video, and pictures from your computer to your Tivo and vice versa. I read in the paper that Tivo would be releasing software to allow you to transfer recorded programs to video Ipods next year too.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 PM

You can do one of these options:

Buy a long (25-50 foot) phone cable and keep it behind your Tivo. Then, plug it into a phone line every 2-4 weeks and manually run the updater through the menu.

Buy a wireless phone jack, this will allow you to be connected without having a line plugged in. Radio Shack sells them. Warning though, these don't work so well if you have DSL filters on any of your phone lines.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:38 PM

www.tivocommunity.com
Old 12-02-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bobman

how was this accomplished? I also have DirecTV, but no home phone line (cell phones only). I want TIVO, but they tell me it is unpossible without a home phone line.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You can actually use the Tivo service without a phone if you hook it up to your network, but you do need a phone for the initial setup. But you can just take it to a friend's house, set it up in an hour, and never use the phone again.

[/ QUOTE ]