Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:35 AM

Default AA on 25NL

Dealt to Hero [ Ad Ac ]
tigs217 folds.
Keizer_Soze checks.
Solklar folds.
knets has joined the table.
mtlkneeco raises [$1.5].
bomboclat folds.
mattmick folds.
shermjack folds.
ldezzo folds.
Hero calls [$1.25].
Keizer_Soze folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8h, 2c, 6c ]
Hero checks.
mtlkneeco bets [$3.25].
Hero raises [$8].
mtlkneeco calls [$4.75].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8c ]
Hero is all-In [$15.15]
mtlkneeco calls [$15.15].
** Dealing River ** [ 4s ]
Hero shows [ Ad, Ac ] two pairs, aces and eights.
mtlkneeco shows [ 4c, Kc ] a flush, king high.
mtlkneeco wins $47.2 from the main pot with a flush, king high.

Should I have bet half the pot on the turn and folded to a raise?
I thought I would have protected myself from a flush with my check-raise on the flop.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: AA on 25NL

Your turn push is eh. I like a re-raise PF by the way, and raise more on the flop. If he has an overpair, he's going to get all in anyway, and with a flush draw you should charge him more.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:30 AM

i don't see how you can fold the turn with outs to the nut boat and nut flush when villain holds a wide range of hands which easily contains overpairs to KK. xorbie's right though, you should be reraising preflop since you'll be playing the rest of the hand out of position.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:41 AM

Definitely agree with the others here. Raise more preflop. I would have tripled his bet PF. On the flop, you definitely did not give him pot odds to chase, but perhaps he figured you'd go all-in on turn, so he had the implied odds if his flush hit.

Here's the math (which I wouldn't stake my life on):
His call on your reraise on the flop was about 3-1 pot odds
(14$ in pot, $4.75 to call).
Assuming he read you to bet AI on turn, he was getting 6-1 implied odds.
($30 total to be won, $4.75 to call).

Probability of hitting his flush on the turn is 5-1, so making his call correct.

If you bet more on the flop, then he gets much less implied odds. Again, I'd go with 1.5 times a pot size bet ($14 or so here I believe). That would reduce his implied pot odds to 3-1. (I don't want to type out the calculations, I'm lazy). [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 AM

reraise pf ~3x his raise. That should be the end of it.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:14 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise pf ~3x his raise. That should be the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Unless this guy is a tilting donk, you have no implied odds against K-4s. There's no reason to slowplay those rockets.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM

I agree with other posters. Re-raise preflop. I would rather win a small pot than lose a big one. Although in this situation his pre-flop raise was rather wreckless he got lucky when you called rather than make a big preflop re-raise. I think he would have to lay down a to a large preflop raise with 2 suited cards. If he calls he would have to have a large pair or AK. If he is calling a big preflop raise with any two suited cards, then you should be happy, he just got lucky on this one.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Here is a contrasting hand at NL 25:

Hero is UTG, $41.30. A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to $41.30 (all-in), 6 folds, Button calls $25 (all-in), 2 folds.

Hero shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button shows T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Back to your hand. Could you explain why you didn't reraise preflop? People call far too much at NL 25. Exploit this by raising for value.

[ QUOTE ]

I thought I would have protected myself from a flush with my check-raise on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your raise was only 1/2 pot (calling would make the pot $9.75, and then you raised to $4.75 more), so you were offering 3:1, plus implied odds.

There is a sense in which you protected your hand. If your plan was to push on any turn, no matter what, then because of your redraw to the nut flush, whether to call your check-raise would be a marginal decision for someone with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] who knows what you have.

However, a flush draw may expect to have several other ways to win against you, and you might not have that redraw. The player with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] can expect a king to be an out much of the time (though not here) as well as runner-runner draws that add up to a lot... a 5 would give him 8 outs to a straight, while a 4 or K would give another 5 outs to 2 pair or better. So, you should expect that someone with a flush draw will call. In fact, someone with a flush draw will often call a larger raise.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a contrasting hand at NL 25:

Hero is UTG, $41.30. A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to $41.30 (all-in), 6 folds, Button calls $25 (all-in), 2 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say I agree with an All-in preflop. Unless you were sure you had a read on the guy who called, and were sure he would be throwing his money away. Otherwise, you're just giving everyone great incentive to fold. This way you'll win a rediculously tiny pot with your aces most of the time, and at higher limits, almost every time. Seems like raising a good amount (5xBB) is a better way to make money in the long term, especially when you move up the limits.

Perhaps this is a variation in your play, where you go All-in every 1 in 100 times with Aces. Even so, it seems not worth it.