Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Default how should i have played differently?

no real reads on anyone, and my image is fairly tight...i thought i wanted to check the turn planning to checkraise...should i have thought otherwise?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

River: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 09-12-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: how should i have played differently?

fold preflop. Bet the turn as nothing MP1 or Button have done indicates they will bet if checked to.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:12 PM

Fold preflop!!! What are you thinking limping utg with 97s???

Ok, now that you're in the hand, raise the flop. Bet the turn, etc. Are you one of those silly players who checks their good hands and bets their weak hands? I'm sorry, but you played this hand very badly.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:20 PM

This is terrible. Fold preflop - never limp first-in at a 6-max game. Bet the turn.

Visit the Heads Up and Shorthanded forum to learn more about this game - you probably have a lot of leaks and would benefit greatly.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:22 PM

apparently, i am. thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM

preflop has already been commented on. raise the flop.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:41 PM

1. Fold pre-flop.

2. Raising the flop is not a good idea, because you'll likely encourage players with overcards and pairs to fold. These players are drawing dead and you really want to encourage them to put in money (and make huge fundamental theorem mistakes). The only players who are legitimately playing against you are those with sets and flush draws, and they aren't going anywhere.

3. You need to bet the turn once checked to, because once the likely bettor has checked, you have absolutely no guarentee anyone will bet. In fact, it is maybe even more likely that no one will bet since no one has shown any aggression yet and the K may be as much a scare card as a card that improved someone's hand. Betting may even encourage a raise from an inferior hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:46 PM

1) Fold preflop. You could limp 97s in late position after several limpers, but not up front.

2) Play fast on the flop. You have the nuts at the moment, but you can easily be outdrawn by a flush. Also, your hand is disguised. They won't put you on 97.

3) After you raise the flop, keep firing. If you're raised on the turn, 3-bet.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Old 09-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Why would C/Ring the turn ever cross your mind? In order to plan a C/R you need to have a good suspicion that a certain player will bet based on reads of that player or on action from previous rounds in the hand. This hand gave you no reason whatsoever to think a LP would bet.

I personally like a flop raise as there are two clubs on the board and your hand is vulnerable to flushes. Not that you will ever fold a flush draw but you can fold backdoor draws and make flush draws pay you while also protecting your hand. You also might fold out gutshots and stuff that might chop with you if the board pairs your hole card.

Not betting the turn is truly sinful though...

(pf you need to fold this every time)