Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:22 AM

Default A play I sometimes use.

This is at a 100+9 but I don't think level matters much here.

I have 3K and am the chip leader with 6 players, I'm in the SB.

The BB is an average player with around 1000 chips.

Blinds are 25/50.

Folded to me with AK and I push.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: A play I sometimes use.

Honestly I almost never have a big problem playing like this with AKo. I admit I wouldnt do this, but I don't think it's terrible or anything by any means.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 AM

How weak could I go before you don't like it?

TT? AJ?

I think I would push them both. I'm not sure how far down I would go. AT+/88+ maybe.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 AM

Well I generally raise to 150 in that situatiuon instead of allin....its obviously fine with all of the hands you mentioned, even stuff like A7o. To repeat I would never move allin in this spot as opposed to normal raise, but I don't think theres anything too wrong with it.

The problem with headsup play sometimes is even if you raise to 150 or whatever and they move allin, you dont know that they dont have weaker ace, or KQ, or QTs, so sometimes I just wrap up a clear +EV play with a hand I may have considered folding to a reraise, if that makes any sense.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 AM

I agree, he can only call with a monster. But I do think that this is a better play at the higher levels. I'm not that excited to get called by QT or QJ and at the lower levels people will call with that kind of hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, he can only call with a monster. But I do think that this is a better play at the higher levels. I'm not that excited to get called by QT or QJ and at the lower levels people will call with that kind of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't only call with monsters even at 100s, thats one of the reasons I specified an average player. If you have been stealing a bit recently the play is even stronger.

I'm not pushing to get a fold here, I'm pushing to get a call from a hand I dominate. In this particular case he thought for a bit and called with QJo which isn't perfect but is obviously fine with me. Most of the time they call with Ax or a big K and you laugh at them from behind your computer screen. Some times you are flipping coins, but of all the times I've done this I would guess they call with dominated crap way more often than hands that are 50% or better.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:29 AM

It's kind of like the "move of honor" in a ring game where you basically throw it all in (in that case w/ AA or KK) hoping to get called becuase its such a large crazy overbet, and in the times it gets called (which is rare) the payoff is huge. Its more a psycholigical play (you have insulted their honor with such a raise, hence the name).

Its good to see the move is still alive in one form or another, as it died when party went to 100xBB for NL ring.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:35 AM

I don't see you getting called very often here when you have villain crushed(aq-).

A line I like to use is to just limp/re-raise(push). I dislike getting involved in big pots out of position with AK.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see you getting called very often here when you have villain crushed(aq-).

A line I like to use is to just limp/re-raise(push). I dislike getting involved in big pots out of position with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I despise limp reraising here, it should cost you money.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this get called all the time at the lower buy-ins (22s and 11s). Players at those levels love to call with AT or even much worse here. That's why I love making this play too.