Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default 99 facing river raise

OK 10-handed Party 3/6 game. I limp 99 UTG, LP limps (about 35/6 VPIP/PFR), BB Checks.

Flop is Jd8d2h BB checks, I bet, LP calls, BB folds.

Turn is 4c, I bet, LP calls

River is 5s I think for several seconds, then bet, LP thinks for a good while and raises.

I don't remember any specific hands I've played with LP, however I do know that I have played a couple hands against him and played them very well (good value bets, good bluff pick-offs, and haven't lost a pot to him). I'm not really sure what to think of this river raise.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: 99 facing river raise

IMO because you thought for a while and then bet you need to call the raise. If OTOH you had bet the river in tempo with the bets of the earlier streets then folding to the raise would be correct.

Also, this is a standard preflop raise for me.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i raise 99 utg here. i would call expecting to lose. my play may change if i knew his postflop aggression factor and his went to/won at sd %. and with an overcard on the flop i may check/call the river to induce a bet from a lesser hand unless you KNOW that he will pay you of with an 8 or 77, etc. in these scenarios(pp with an overcard on the board) where you meet no resistance on the flop and turn it takes a certain level of judgement on the river: are you going to be called by a hand worse than yours? you don't want to lose a value bet, but if it is only called if you are likely beat, a check to induce a bet from a lesser hand could be the play.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:29 PM

I agree with Hobbs. No more thinking for you.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO because you thought for a while and then bet you need to call the raise. If OTOH you had bet the river in tempo with the bets of the earlier streets then folding to the raise would be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is exactly what went through my mind at the time, so I called, villain had KTs, busted flushdraw, MHIG.