Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Default A KK Play-Along

Ok, here we go...

Party $25-nl, 6-max, 6-handed.

The short-stacked ($7~) UTG who is new to the table opens for $1. I'm next with KK and about $25, and I raise to $4. The loose & passive BB has around 30, and calls the re-raise. The UTG open-raiser pushes making it 7.5 to go. There's 15.50 in the pot, and the bet is 3.50 to me.

Hand ranges & my action, please?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: A KK Play-Along

Hand range for short stack, any two high cards, any pp, any ace, other random garbage. Hand range for 30 stack- Any pocket pair, ajs or better. PUSH.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 PM

I see the logic behind the push, and I don't disagree with it. My question is, given the hand range of the 30 stack, how good or bad is a flat-call here, going for an overcall?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 PM

I want to isolate the short stack who might have garbage and get all that juicy dead money. PUUUUUSH.

Don't let AJ/AQ get in and then flop an ace. But, at the $25 level, AQ/AJ are most likely calling your push anyway. So why not get the money in when you are a huge favoriate?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here we go...

Party $25-nl, 6-max, 6-handed.

The short-stacked ($7~) UTG who is new to the table opens for $1. I'm next with KK and about $25, and I raise to $4. The loose & passive BB has around 30, and calls the re-raise. The UTG open-raiser pushes making it 7.5 to go. There's 15.50 in the pot, and the bet is 3.50 to me.

Hand ranges & my action, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand ranges: UTG has high cards or pocket pair 88+; BB has pocket pair 99+ or AKs/AQs (he is passive).

Action: This is tough, I don't think you want BB to fold under any circumstances because this hand is shaping up to be a nice potential double up for you. But, I don't think you can just call UTG's push here because it allows BB to make a mathematically correct call ($3.5 to win $19) to crack up your KK.

You have $21 in your stack currently, but only $18.50 left since you are at least calling UTG's raise. If you call and BB calls, the pot on the flop will be $22.50 minus rake, BB will probably check, and you will obviously push for you're remaining $18.50. The problem I have with this play is that it allows BB to see a flop for next to nothing and then doesn't really price him out on the flop.

My action: push. It sucks, but stack sizes make this the correct play, I think.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Part 2

Ok, I agree with the assesment that I should push preflop. Unfortunately, I called. I was a little distracted at the moment, and I made a bad decision.

Next, up. I call, the BB calls. 3 to the flop (1 all-in) for about 21.

Flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks. I have about 3/4 of a PSB left, the BB has slightly more.

My action & plan for rest of hand? Any changes in hand ranges?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Part 2

if i'm reading this right the pot is 21$. and u put hand range from AK-AJ? if he has AJ hot. bet 10$...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i'm reading this right the pot is 21$. and u put hand range from AK-AJ? if he has AJ hot. bet 10$...

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting 10 leaves me with only about 6. Any reason to not just push here?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:36 PM

Also, how concerned are we about the coordinated board?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I agree with the assesment that I should push preflop. Unfortunately, I called. I was a little distracted at the moment, and I made a bad decision.

Next, up. I call, the BB calls. 3 to the flop (1 all-in) for about 21.

Flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks. I have about 3/4 of a PSB left, the BB has slightly more.

My action & plan for rest of hand? Any changes in hand ranges?

[/ QUOTE ]

No change in hand ranges. Your action here is limited by the fact that any bet from you has got to be all-in if it is a real bet. No ace came on the flop, which is good for you. An ace is now unlikely to come on the turn or river.

This has now become a "way ahead/way behind" situation, I think because the only reasonable draw you fear from BB is a TT straight draw.

I still think that you push because there is no reason to believe that BB will pay off later with a worse hand like AQs unless he hits the unlikely ace.