Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Couple 1/2 PP hands fresh from SSHE, more aggression?

Hey all, I just recently finished reading SSHE, and was trying to put the concepts into place, but clearly I'm still getting used to all the places where I should bet to make my opponents make mistakes. I just finished my first session after reading it well up, but there are two hands that particularly stand out that I should have been more aggressive on.

The table is very loose passive, people calling MP1 with Q-7 os and 7-10s, no real great players.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO folds.

I thought about raising here to clear my aces as outs, and maybe my four as well, but instead just called because of how passive the table was, to see if I could get a useful turn card.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

I'm pretty sure I should have bet here, as the jack would have bet, the ace remains partially an out, and I considered the 8 2.5 outs just in case. So I had 2? A's, 2.5 8's, 9 clubs = 13.5 outs, giving me more than the 20% needed to raise. Does this sound about right?

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

I think I may have missed another bet here, as anything that could beat the 8 would have bet, and I would outkick any other 8.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

All this sound right? Here is one more hand from the same session:

Villain is very loose, 50% VPIP in about 40 hands, seen him coldcall raises with Q-10os PF.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

I lead the flop to see if I could bluff the ace, as I had no backdoor flush draw or clean outs except the jack of clubs.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Because the hearts and overcards kept coming, I was afraid of these, and would not have been surprised at all if he had played either A or K-rag.

River: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Should I have lead here? or am I just opening myself to reraises by a better hand and calls by what I'm beat? If I was the button, should I have bet?

Final Pot: 4.25 BB

Thanks for your time and all that, if you get the chance to reply that'd be cool, if not that's fine too. Thanks!

akira
Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Couple 1/2 PP hands fresh from SSHE, more aggression?

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should seriously consider raising preflop, but if you're still somewhat new to the game, this is not a major concern.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO folds.

I thought about raising here to clear my aces as outs, and maybe my four as well, but instead just called because of how passive the table was, to see if I could get a useful turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising will not clean up any ace outs. I also don't think it will clean up your 4 outs (for the same reason). Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

I'm pretty sure I should have bet here, as the jack would have bet, the ace remains partially an out, and I considered the 8 2.5 outs just in case. So I had 2? A's, 2.5 8's, 9 clubs = 13.5 outs, giving me more than the 20% needed to raise. Does this sound about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather take the free card. Your bet may not get enough callers to have the right equity, plus there's a chance that a check here may induce somebody to bet the river for you when the flush card comes, possibly allowing you to raise to get two bets in with the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

I think I may have missed another bet here, as anything that could beat the 8 would have bet, and I would outkick any other 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

You run into lots of dopey hands on the river in loose games, so I shy away from value raising mediocre hands.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Couple 1/2 PP hands fresh from SSHE, more aggression?

I like both of these hands.