Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Higher Steps Strategy

Does anyone play them? Anyone have any insights?

Rank 1 (or 1 & 2) only leading to promotion and all the midranks giving you another bash, make you very conservative in the early levels, then ultra aggressive once you make the cut. Is this the best way to play?

I'm enjoying them as a change from the SnG grind but would like to know if anyone has any novel ideas.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Higher Steps Strategy

I think you would need to take advantage of the bubble where people tighten up to "sneak" in to at least get another try or whatever it is. You need to become much more agressive then, not waiting until you get in, you should know this from SNG grinding.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Higher Steps Strategy

If you've already made it to another free roll going out is no longer such a big deal, finishing 2nd or 4th (level 2) is the same so you really need to accumulate chips in order to have shot at 1st. The two obvious tactics are blind stealing and slowplaying.

Agressive blind stealing doesn't seem to work - I was called with J8, JT & 98s yesterday (in each case they had a marginally better hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Slowplaying, on the other hand, seems more successful. I've seen hands as weak as JJ used. High risk but definitely useful if the object is first rather than improving your position.