Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Default One, two table tourneys with short stacks and unlimited rebuys.

I have a tourney like this coming up this weekend and am looking for some feedback about how the rebuys might change the game. The structure: T1000 chips, 25-50 starting blinds, 15 minute rounds, unlimited rebuys for the first four rounds with an optional add-on at the end of the fourth round. The host is expecting 1-2 tables of players.

Having never played this structure before, my first thought is that all-in calls can be made more loosly and you can take a shot calling all-in on draws in big pots. Is this thinking off? What else am I missing?

- Jim
Old 06-28-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: One, two table tourneys with short stacks and unlimited rebuys.

Home game players are so beyond horrible that I wouldn't feel the need to gamble a lot even with rebuys.

You should not go out of your way to call when you have a marginal hand. Instead, get a good hand and put all your chips in and watch 3 people call with crap. Then repeat.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 PM

This tournament will get in 3 or 4 hands per level. Sit tight, let the WPT fans go to war, and get paid off on your monsters.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 PM

This is not an accurate description of these players. There is a good mix of rocks and loose passives with passive being the best descriptor of the general field. There will be 2-4 decent players depending on who shows up. But this is not a SnG all-in fest unless someone spikes the punch.

Also, there will be good dealers at both tables. I expect more on the order of 8 hands per round (I know you didn't make this comment but this saves me a double post).

- Jim
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not an accurate description of these players. There is a good mix of rocks and loose passives with passive being the best descriptor of the general field. There will be 2-4 decent players depending on who shows up. But this is not a SnG all-in fest unless someone spikes the punch.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

You were talking about making "allin calls" in your original post. Against passive players, you won't be calling allins because they won't be moving allin.

Passive players like to call. Get a good hand and bet a lot.