Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: When Have You Had Enough?

Make sure you read this.

I set a time limit.

My worst tilts ever are when I break the time limit, since if I'm up I have no problem stopping. I haven't stopped a few times when I'm down (just until I'm up again logic) and it's been my worst tilt horrible playing ever and my biggest downswings ever.

Logically only hour limit or hand limit makes sense.

Peter.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:58 AM

I set a goal to play "x" number of hands, and I stop when I get there.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 AM

I set a hand goal also, and stop when I get there.

As an aside, am I the only one who feels like I play better when I'm stuck?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 AM

In general, i subscribe to the quit when your losing, keep on going when your winning thing. When your running well, people respect you and stay outta your way, which in turn makes it alot easier to read them, which ultimately is what separates the great SH players from just the decent ones. On the other hand when your runnin piss poor and people think 'this guy cant win' then they are gonna take shots at you, and this combined with the fact your already not in the greatest place since your 30 BB in the hole for the last hour, makes the game ALOT harder to beat.

However, I dont think that if you are playing well, and just losing because your card dead / bad beated, that justifies getting up and quitting. The absolute most IMPORTANT and CARDINAL rule, of which i can say obeying it has made/saved me LOTS, and disobeying it has cost me...well, even more probably is that when youve lost a significant amount at one table, CHANGE TABLES.

This takes care of the table image problem, and also other problems which might have been a bit more latent, like the players at that table are better than you give them credit for, or the guy to your right is just too frickin LAGgy and hard to deal with for you in particular, etc.

I mean [censored]. The advantage of playing online is that you can goto whatever table you want- and if your table either gets too tough, or loses respect for you, or both, or all three, then you can get your azz up to a fresh new table, and probly never see the other guys again EVER.

So thats my basic thing - if i think that im startin to play bad, then ill quit (or at least attempt to) - but if i dont think im atta -EV place as far as playing/tilting but am still hemmoraging off chips, i will just get off my tables, and sit down fresh at some new ones. Its good psychologically, and its also good for the reasons i mentioned. The WORST thing you can do on the other hand, and beleive me ive done it so so so so so often too, is refuse to getup from a table where your stuck until you get unstuck. bad bad bad.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel I play a lot better when I'm stuck. I also overperform in exams - seems my memory and mental abaility improve under pressure.

I don't understand the point of limits on time or number of hands. Unless you want to be somewhere else, keep playing when you think you're a favorite.

chez
Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 AM

I disagree with KingYao and Krishan.

Whether you quit or not depends on your state of mind and how you are playing.

You lose due to 2 reasons

1. You are playing poorly
2. Bad luck

(Most experienced players should know when they have had bad luck and when they are playing bad).

When you are winning, what happens is you sometimes become overconfident, you start playing too many hands, you get ahead of yourself. You then start losing and get really frustrated at having lost a good chunk of what you'd won. So playing better when winning doesnt always occur.

Sometimes it is also good to consolidate your wins, I usually only do this when I have had some decent luck and the games are poor. Other factors also come into it like you cant be bothered playing etc. You should play when your equity is the highest (you really are feeling good about playing, you are focused and the players are really poor).

Setting any goal besides playing your best at all times is nearly always setting yourself up for failure. Forcing yourself to play a set number of hands or hours when you really are having a bad day is a good way to lose money.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel I play a lot better when I'm stuck. I also overperform in exams - seems my memory and mental abaility improve under pressure.

I don't understand the point of limits on time or number of hands. Unless you want to be somewhere else, keep playing when you think you're a favorite.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep playing when I think I'm a favorite? Goodness I'd play every waking hour. I'm not bragging either, it's just that the games are really really soft.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep playing when I think I'm a favorite? Goodness I'd play every waking hour. I'm not bragging either, it's just that the games are really really soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and its not bragging its just a fact about how good the games are at the moment. So stop when you need to be somewhere else; sleep, life, whatever

I'm just bemused why anyone who serious about playing would worry about stoping for any other reason.

chez
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 PM

I go by time limits. 2 - 2.5 hours is about max for me. 2 sessions a day, 4 tabling 10-20 is all I can handle. I have quit after only 1/2 hour because I didn't feel like I was playing well. I have played longer if a truly bad player is just giving his money away.

I try not to check to see how I am doing until the session is over, but usually have a sense of where I'm at.