Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 10:10 AM

Default When Have You Had Enough?

Maybe this is better suited to the psychology forum, but I wanted to really hear from folks playing the same type of game I am...

Anyway, when I first moved to 5/10 sh, I set a pretty draconian stop-loss limit of 30BB. That kind of blurred as I started adding tables, and now I don't really *know* when to quit. On one hand, I am a lot more apt to stop playing if I am up for the night. For example, last night I was up $430 in 166 hands and decided to call it a night. The previous night I just got completely pwned and didn't turn the computer off until I was down $730.

Does it make sense to make limits and just say, "I am going to play X number of hands tonight and then stop, regardless of results." Or do you say, "I am going to quit after I either win or lose X amount of money?"

I am thinking the best approach is top keep sessions from being open-ended, but I would be interested in hearing how others approach this.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: When Have You Had Enough?

I try to quit if I lose 100 BBs in a night.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:19 AM

-When I sit down... I usually say I plan on playing until X-o'clock. I may plan to take breaks along the way. I keep playing reguardless of results, unless I feel like I am slippin up and either playing bad or emotional or something out of the ordinary. Your dollar thresholds are silly, and causes you to focus on the wrong stuff.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:21 AM

I generally set a time limit for which I want to play. Sometimes it's only a half hour, sometimes is two hours. I just quit at the end, and most of the time I'll be ready to quit and not feel like playing anymore. However if I'm getting thumped and I can tell that's it's starting to affect my play and tilt me I might just pack up early and go do something else.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 AM

I would suggest to keep playing when you are winning, and be more apt to stop playing when you are losing. When people win, they are more apt to "run with the money" and leave the table. They are happy they've had a winning session and their fear is that they will lose back their winnings. What they don't seem to realize is that when they are winning, they are positioned well to win even more. The other players will respect your play more, thus allowing you to control the game. Your bluffs and semi-bluffs won't be called down as much, and they are more afraid to bet into you (because you've shown down some good hands since you've been winning). Also, you are in a better state of mind, and not thinking 'I gotta get even, I gotta get even', that you may when you are "stuck". That type of attitude (to get even when stuck), can really destroy a player. Typically they play wilder and more reckless...but this is not the time to do it. Other players won't fear you and will call you down.

Of course, these are all generalities. But, I would suggest to try to play longer sessions when you start off winning, and try to stop yourself and leave the tables when you start off losing...until you are to the point where you are so comfortable with your game and know how to adjust to how others see your current image, that you don't think it matters anymore.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...until you are to the point where you are so comfortable with your game and know how to adjust to how others see your current image, that you don't think it matters anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this should be one of your goals as a poker player from the get go. The only way to get there, IMO, is to practice it from the get go. That other stuff you mention above this statement definitely contains some truths about image, etc., but I don't think it will help you develop as soundly.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:34 AM

I usually play until I'm broke. Then I have to wait a couple of days until I can steal more money from my mother to buy in again. We're getting evicted this week cause she couldn't pay the rent. So I told her to get a third job.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 AM

And I thank you and your momma both. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, last night I was up $430 in 166 hands and decided to call it a night. The previous night I just got completely pwned and didn't turn the computer off until I was down $730.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same problem and its something I'm working really hard to fix (along with the constant cashier clicking problem).
Old 06-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Since I moved to playing almost exclusively at Absolute, I'm constantly shuttling money in and out to build up that bonus. As a result, I have no idea at any given time how much I "should" have in my account, so checking the cashier to see if I'm up or down on the session is worthless. Its great.