Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Correct Play in a Large Pot?

No read on either opponent as this was about four hands in to the session. I am unsure particularly about my play on the flop and turn here. With 6 outs I felt I was getting proper odds, but I am not sure if I am calculating correctly once I start calling raises. Should I have discounted any? All I could think of was Ed Miller telling me to stay in those large pots! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls $1 (All-In), Hero calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 01-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Correct Play in a Large Pot?

It may be a large pot, but given preflop and flop action, you have to assume that not only is your hand no good, but there are a lot of ways for you to "improve" and still lose.

The T is not a clean out because it puts a 4-straight on board and is probably worth one out at best. The 9 is not a great out either despite the fact that you have two straight-stopping tens in your hand. You might hit and lose to a better straight, hit and lose to a flush (e.g. 9h), or hit and have to split the pot with another ten. I think a 9 is worth 2 outs at best. That's a total of 3 outs, which is generous. You're getting 13.5-1 on your turn call, and you need 14.5 at the very minimum.

It may seem close, but I would lean toward folding on the turn unless you're playing against total maniacs. Implied odds are cancelled out by reverse-implied odds. You can't confidently bet your hand for value if you hit.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 PM

Another ten isn't exactly a clean out. 99 and T9 are possibilites though not likely.

Since it was capped pre-flop, you probably are looking at a bigger pair or a set on the flop.

If you knew the flop would be capped, would you have stayed all the way? Yes, you are getting 6-to-1 which I guess makes it okay. However, it looks like you are what I was just a few months ago -- a calling station.

Raise or fold. I think it's close, but I would fold. There are just too many hands that have you beat.

After the flop, you are correct. The pot is too big to fold.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I thought my tens were clean simply because I didn't have anyone on a 9 based on pre-flop action. I also felt that the all-in guy might have something spurious (since all-ins are often just desperation-betting). Pre-flop, I kind of got sucked in. I have to re-raise there and I can't fold to the cap bet after I've already re-raised.

I guess I don't see where raising on the flop and/or turn would have accomplished anything in this particular case - especially since the original pre-flop raiser bet out on the flop into the two pre-flop re-raisers.

This hand is still pretty interesting to me - even being in it is borderline, but the pot size and having one guy all-in seemed to change the dynamic a bit.

Thanks again.