Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Greg refuses to shake his hand

I want to know what he wrote in his book.

was it "Shhhhhhh, I'm counting your chips?"

-AA
Old 08-25-2004, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I'm sure Greg was pissed at the time, imagine what would be going on if he had shoke his hand. Everyone would be on his side and calling Madasow a total ass and Greg a total class act for not only taking his abuse but also shaking his hand about it. Wow think about that for five minutes then realize you've got better [censored] to do.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally. I'm not defending Mike's behavior, but it would've shown tons of class to shake his hand after that. Personally, I would've shook his hand....but not due to wanting to be classy. I would've shook his hand to show him that hes not getting inside my head at all and that I'm still cool and calm. I think that there is obvious some type of strategy behind Mike's berating other players. And the best way to counterattack it is to just laugh it off and show him that its not affecting you in any way.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:22 AM

Greg is laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

Matusow is an arrogant jackass and was way out of line there. Perhaps if he directed a little more attention on his game and less on berating the other (classier) players, he'd make a final table once in a while.

I was at the WSOP this year just watching the action, and was around when Matusow took a sick beat (he had AK vs AQ allin, with a 4 flush to boot on the flop, and a Q came on the river for his opponent to cripple him). He started going crazy, but it definitely was a case of the poker gods striking down if I've ever seen one.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:37 AM

You completely missed what was happening here. Early in the tirade, Matusow screams, "you're not playing with little kids here buddy," as if he's talking to some idiot on the street. He goes on to beat his chest and proclaim his superior manhood, while belittling Greg. He then comes to the rare moment where he realizes what a jackass he's being and takes the opportunity to offer up a condescending and disingenuous apology, while still snickering at Greg with his lacky buddy like they're sharing some private joke at Greg's expense.

Matusow is lucky that Greg is (by all accounts I've been privy to) a complete gentlemen, because more than a few people that frequent poker rooms would've put that idiot on his a** right then and there.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:46 AM

I think we need to think of the bright side, chaos theory tells us Greg wouldn't have won otherwise.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:53 AM

Shaking his hand is basically saying "yes, you can insult me and be an ass and I will take it and do nothing." It condones what he just did and would have made Greg look weak. He did the right thing.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:11 AM

Only the biggest of pussies would have shaken Matesow's hand in that situation (no offense to those earlier in the thread, I doubt you would have done it in real life either.) I doubt I would have thrown down right there, but I definitely would have invited "the mouth" to meet after the event was over. Can't wait to see Raymer bust him out.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:56 AM

in Mattasow's defense....

sometimes you have to talk it up if you can get into someones head if that person is standing between you and
$5 million.

I get so tired of when others get mad when someone talks junk at the table. If it effects your play or you even allow it to effect you emotionally at the table then that is just another part of the game you have to improve.

You'll see what I mean when you watch WPT when Sunar Surindar wins it. I read in CPM that some guy was talking junk to him all game (tony d. if I'm not mistaken) and Sunar wasn't effected once.

Stop crying about edict and poker edict at the table, if some WCP is sitting at the table and the guy next to me is taunting him all day long laughing and talking garbage, I'll love it especially if it even causes him ONCE to misplay a hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You completely missed what was happening here. Early in the tirade, Matusow screams, "you're not playing with little kids here buddy," as if he's talking to some idiot on the street. He goes on to beat his chest and proclaim his superior manhood, while belittling Greg. He then comes to the rare moment where he realizes what a jackass he's being and takes the opportunity to offer up a condescending and disingenuous apology, while still snickering at Greg with his lacky buddy like they're sharing some private joke at Greg's expense.

Matusow is lucky that Greg is (by all accounts I've been privy to) a complete gentlemen, because more than a few people that frequent poker rooms would've put that idiot on his a** right then and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't decide whether to believe you or not because you are clearly biased. You claim that it was a 'rare moment' where he realized he was wrong, but then you say that the apology was disingeniuos. So which is it? Did he truly realize he was out of line or was he just being fake? To me, it looked like an honest apology. Not like a 'hey man I'm so sorry.' But more of a 'Hey buddy, you know I'm just trying to do this to throw you off your game...don't take it personal man.'
Old 08-25-2004, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Greg refuses to shake his hand /m

Mike is nicknamed: MOUTH

That is him, always...

LOL!

He's a cool guy other than that.

He likes that nickname btw, I asked him...

-Bri