Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Is poker an ethical way to make a living?

Poker is a subhuman activity. A truly healthy human lives their life with creativity as their highest value. And creativity in a non wanky way too. (The obvioous implication is that writing a book about how best to engage in a subhuman activity does not count.)

Poker is a throw back to the time when life was viewed as warfare and a zero sum game. But life is not warfare, and is no zero sum game. The days of the warrior are long gone. The creator is now the highest man.

Get away from professional poker and do something real with your lives. You'll feel much better. Don't think you can? Try harder.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone else said in this thread, just because poker does not directly generate income,(which i disagree with but that is for another thread) does not make it unethical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said that??? Poker clearly DOES generate income for some people. It does NOT create wealth. Big, big, big difference.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Something real like what?

My point is that the source of one's income does not define him. In addition to playing poker, I am a musician, a songwriter, a prose writer (mostly on non-poker subjects and unpaid), and a gardener, among other things.

edit: sentence structure
Old 04-14-2005, 03:07 PM

One other thing: The level of intellect of many of the people that you will find here is closer to superhuman than subhuman.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a subhuman activity. A truly healthy human lives their life with creativity as their highest value. And creativity in a non wanky way too. (The obvioous implication is that writing a book about how best to engage in a subhuman activity does not count.)

Poker is a throw back to the time when life was viewed as warfare and a zero sum game. But life is not warfare, and is no zero sum game. The days of the warrior are long gone. The creator is now the highest man.

Get away from professional poker and do something real with your lives. You'll feel much better. Don't think you can? Try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it is very rare for a human to live with creativity as their highest value. But ironically, most people who do, do not provide much to society besides entertainment and art, although those are actually very important.What stu ungar did was art(side comment)
Old 04-14-2005, 07:33 PM

But it's on the edge of honest living and therefore ethics, too. To make a living, one has to take advantage of other players' mistakes - repeatedly. If a player plays live, he will play the same players often, and should refuse to ever help correct their mistakes. If a player follows the biggest fish online, he will end up doing the same thing. This kind of behavior isn't unethical, since it is clearly the spirit of the game, but it's certainly not something most people would choose to do.

Call me naive, but this kind of ultra-competitive spirit is not healthy when taken to the extreme that poker takes it.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 PM

Does the professional poker player provide anything to society?

As long as he supports himself and his family he owes "society" precisely zero beyond that.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that the source of one's income does not define him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly.

Many people work in jobs where they either know full well that their job is mostly meaningless...or have to spend time convincing themselves that their job actually DOES have meaning.

Professional poker allows me to avoid such situations. I know what poker is. I enjoy it and am profitable at it so I do it.

As for 'getting on with one's life'...that is EXACTLY what professional poker has allowed me to do. I have far more freedom to as I please with my time.
I have FAR more of a 'life' than I ever did before.

I also have an obligation to myself and my own happiness of course.
How many people out there TRULY enjoy their 8-5 jobs as much as I enjoy making my income via poker?
Not very many I suspect.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's on the edge of honest living and therefore ethics, too. To make a living, one has to take advantage of other players' mistakes - repeatedly. If a player plays live, he will play the same players often, and should refuse to ever help correct their mistakes. If a player follows the biggest fish online, he will end up doing the same thing. This kind of behavior isn't unethical, since it is clearly the spirit of the game, but it's certainly not something most people would choose to do.

Call me naive, but this kind of ultra-competitive spirit is not healthy when taken to the extreme that poker takes it.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are naive [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you are naive [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? how is poker played in a legal cardroom "on the edge of an honest living?" You are not stealing anything from anyone nor are you breaking any laws whatesoever.

I really do wonder how people who feel this way find there way to a message board dedicated to a game that is so "dishonest" in nature??? I mean do you people who feel this way feel guilty about playing poker and winning? In keeping with your assertion that poker "is on the edge" of honesty, if you really felt that way shouldn't you feel guilty about taking people's money in a dishonest way? I really feel that if a poker player feels this way they cannot possibly be a long term winner even as a recreational player because the guilt you must be feeling from taking all that money from honest people who didn't know any better must really weigh on your mind.

All the pro poker player doing is engaging in a competition in which they are better at than their opponents. As I have said in my previous posts all of life is basically a competition whether you realize it or not. In poker the nature of the competition makes it more personal than most people's jobs are.

Every job is a form of competition, with the possible exception of running a charitable orginization and a few others. If you don't perform well in your job and your boss feels there is someone out there who can do it better than you, more than likely you will be replaced.

I'm just tired of people whining and saying "oh boo hoo the big bad poker player takes peoples money and doesn't contrubute anything meaningfull to society boo hoo" The poker player does this and so do countless other jobs in today's society.

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!