Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Default If you could have your wish

Name 1 player to write a cash game book and 1 player to write a Tournament book that hasn't already done so.

I'll start:

Cash- Chip Reese (years and years of being a winner in the Big Game. Wrote a great chapter on Stud in Super System and is regarded as the most solid poker player in the world).

Tournament- John Juanda. One of the toughest tournament players out there. Juanda is strong in many games and possibly his book could mix in some Omaha tournament strategies as well as hold'em. I hope the book could focus at least one chapter on preflop play as I think Juanda is the master of that art.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: If you could have your wish

Cash games:
Howard Lederer. Regarded by the high stakes players to be the best limit hold'em player in the world.

Tournaments:
John Juanda. For the same reasons you listed.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 PM

Reese and Juanda, just like you.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Cash: Phil Ivey
Tournament: Gus Hansen
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM

I think both of your choices are excellent... My preferences would be Howard Lederer and Johnny Chan.. respectively.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Cash games: Phil Ivey

Tournaments: Stuey Unger
Old 11-23-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both of your choices are excellent... My preferences would be Howard Lederer and Johnny Chan.. respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]
Johnny Chan has written a book. It is terrible.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:33 AM

Cash= Barry G, if you don't count Ace on the River (it's not really a strategy book, afterall) or Bobby Baldwin, although, Chip is a good choice.
Tournament=I have to go with Hansen, the man just thinks differently, I'm really surprised he doesn't have any bracelets.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 AM

I didn't even think of Stuey. He'd be even better. The man lived on the edge better than almost anyone.

I guess since he's no longer with us I can be forgiven for overlooking him since he's very unlikely to write any books that we'll get to read, at least in this world.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:45 AM

Tournaments-Howard Lederer. He would be a top choice for cash games as well. If he wrote a book as solid as his DVD collection, he would really be providing some good information. John Juanda, similar to A. Cunningham, seems like a good choice because he seems very thoughtful in his moves and he consistently finishes in the money and makes a lot of final table appearances. His articles for AllIN magazine are pretty basic and weak. I think an entire book would add little to what is already available.

Cash games- Chip Reese-assuming he would really give some solid information. There is no doubt he could give a real education if he wanted...but then, if he did, everyone would know the same stuff and what would it really be worth after that anyway. If anyone would have given some good cash game information, you would think Greenstein would given his financial security. He could tell all the secrets and it would never have an affect on him at his level.

The tournament information is pretty good from books, but the cash game information is a little more guarded it seems. Tournaments are part skill and part luck. It doesn't really matter to give someone all the information they need to enter a tournament. It seems like the cash game information would be harmful to the professionals, so you see less solid information. Lederer is a really great high stakes poker player and he stated he learned a lot about playing high stakes poker from playing against Reese for years, so I would have to say Reese would be the best to write one.