Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Top 2 vs. Button Raise from TAG

Button is TAG, maybe even a 2+2er (27/7/1.3). He seems to be fairly solid but he has also made a few mistakes where he seems to be not paying quite enough attention to the game. He may be multi-tabling or watching TV while playing.

SB is a non-thinking LAG. His small raise PF means he got dealt two cards [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($44)
CO ($55.15)
Button ($97)
SB ($136.45)
Hero ($102.50)
UTG ($133.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $2, UTG calls $2, Button calls $2.

Flop: ($12) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG calls $8, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $99.5</font>

I thought a long time before I made this push. I'm pretty certain that villain would have raised 99/JJ/KK from the button, so I don't think I'm up against a set. I'm ahead or tied with any 2-pair hand combo he might have. The only hand that has me worried is QT, however this is the least likely of villain's possible holdings, and if he does have it I've still got 4 outs to beat it. I think I'm ahead here about 60% of the time, and the push adds a LOT of fold equity plus it prevents villain from making a play if another scare card hits on the turn.

Like it or hate it?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Top 2 vs. Button Raise from TAG

I'd prefer calling and jamming my stack on a non Q or T turn.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate, please. What are the advantages of waiting to push on this hand? And what would you do if an A falls instead of a Q or T?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate, please. What are the advantages of waiting to push on this hand? And what would you do if an A falls instead of a Q or T?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very possible villain has a made straight. He's already raised, I think very likely the villain has a pair + gutshot and I'd like to see a safe turn. I'm fine with mucking this if the turn is a Q,T.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Call here. I think pushing here accomplishes nothing. Trap him here.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button is TAG, maybe even a 2+2er (27/7/1.3). He seems to be fairly solid but he has also made a few mistakes where he seems to be not paying quite enough attention to the game. He may be multi-tabling or watching TV while playing.

SB is a non-thinking LAG. His small raise PF means he got dealt two cards [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($44)
CO ($55.15)
Button ($97)
SB ($136.45)
Hero ($102.50)
UTG ($133.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $2, UTG calls $2, Button calls $2.

Flop: ($12) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG calls $8, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $99.5</font>

I thought a long time before I made this push. I'm pretty certain that villain would have raised 99/JJ/KK from the button, so I don't think I'm up against a set. I'm ahead or tied with any 2-pair hand combo he might have. The only hand that has me worried is QT, however this is the least likely of villain's possible holdings, and if he does have it I've still got 4 outs to beat it. I think I'm ahead here about 60% of the time, and the push adds a LOT of fold equity plus it prevents villain from making a play if another scare card hits on the turn.

Like it or hate it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love it if there was a flush draw on the flop, in this flop I'd rather call.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...the push adds a LOT of fold equity...

[/ QUOTE ]

how exactly does your push add fold equity?
What hands that beat you are folding here?
Hint: None.

If the SB is a habitual raiser, you want to face him HU. Either reraise to get the button out (and gain position advantage over SB) or fold. Calling is the worst option here.